Step Back to the 1920's Industrial Chic Style

Hailing with a ginormous mirror (50" diameter to be exact) this vintage Art Deco vanity received a makeover reminiscent of the industrial age in the roaring 1920's. Witha little bit of TLC and an awesome paint product designed to create patina in minute, this once worn out beauty is now a stunning showpiece. Come see how this classic piece has been transformed!
Aren't those walnut chevron inlays fantastic! Not to mention the original mirror, brass pulls, and glamorous design.
A Craigslist score and in need of a little TLC to bring her back to life, it was fun to recreate a timeless piece.
Using basic linseed oil to refresh the walnut veneer on tops and drawers fronts, was a easy task.
The vanity did not have it's original bench, but I was able to find a suitable match in a local thrift store. All it needed was a new look with paint and upholstery.
After a primer, paint, and patina, this set is ready to be the talk of the town! Come see how I created that wonderful patina using paint and a special ingredient.

Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

• Sandra

As a renter, I moved into a decent duplex but the kitchen is full of horrors !! The counters tops were spray painted with black marbleizing paint !! After 5 years living here how can I beautify them ? The paint is chipping and is scratched everywhere !!! Landlord doesn’t care what I do as long as it looks good!

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Sounds like some fun is headed your way. Prep and patience are key to getting the counters looking like new again. First, sand it down with a 150 grit paper and wipe down with a rubbing alcohol. Then, you can either use a kit the offer for painting countertops at home improvement stores. Or you can use a Gripper Primer and then a topcoat of your choice. I suggest using microfoam rollers and be sure to let each coat cure. I hope this helps. Visit my blog, Prodigal Pieces, for more information and tips.

• Micki

It breaks my heart to see '20's waterfall furniture painted. It would be with so much more to oil it and leave in its original state. All of my waterfall goes to my granddaughter. She told me to make sure I never ever painted these pieces. There are enough worn junk furniture pieces to paint. The next generation will spend their time removing paint from treasured pieces like this vanity. The inlaid wood is priceless. I do understand your good intentions and creativity. I just didn't have the heart to look at the final painted image. I don't intend to be a naysayer but I've already given my "opinion". I believe everyone can do whatever makes them happy.

• Dee Berube

OH MY.. You put so much heart and thought into your pieces and I thought there was going to be another "finished" picture after the patina. I didn't read and thought the patina was spilled cleaning liquid. OUCH. maybe it will look better as it ages. The linseed oil finish is BEAUTIFUL.