Barn Door Fun #2!

Our friends with their fixer upper beach house have graciously allowed us to share in their projects on a few weekends that we can get away. Don’t get me wrong – they have done a lot of hard laborious work since purchasing last year – we… do just a bit of guidance since this is their first project ~and we love it. Spending time with those who make you smile is at the top of my priority list now days. These people make your day a little bit brighter simply by being in it.
One of our new favorite pastimes is a Salvage Shop in Galveston. This is exactly where we found what will be the door to their Master Bath. Not just any door ~ the door.
This door has a history. It came from Ft. Crockett you can read about it by clicking the link. One side of the door had very bubbled/cracked paint compared to the other – as this was the side that was singed by the fires they had lit. Very beautiful in it’s own way. What a wonderful way to preserve a piece of history of the very town that you live in!
diy barn door, doors, repurposing upcycling
We were so excited to get busy with this door that we forgot to take a picture of it before we got to scraping! I cannot even tell you how beautiful the cream/green patina was on this door. I wish we could have left it – but this would be a functional door and it would have been a flaking mess. We got our our wire brushes and worked away at it. We only sanded where there may have been some rough chips remaining.
Both sides of this beauty were unique in their very own way. I can’t even imagine the stories that were told behind this beautiful piece of art.
While we were scraping away – the guys were hanging the rail that they purchased from
They did also purchase a 1 x 6 for extra support/clearance for door frame and mounting the rail on as well. We painted it white to match the wall color.
Now it is ready for the mounting hardware.
Glides like a dream :) Favorite quote: “that ain’t going anywhere” many times out of the mouths of our two handsome men.
So proud of the Ft. Crockett save!
For more pictures please go to my blog or Passionately Grounded facebook page. I plan to update this post next week with the finished bathroom inside as well as the original hardware that we found. Do you have a place for a piece of history in your house? How about just some great memories of creating something beautiful while hanging with friends at the same time?
Here are some updates that I promised you!
Their next project is a new vanity and to get rid of the last bit of PEACH in the room!
Passionately Grounded

• Melanie Snell Steed

Was this door the same width as the regular door or wider and did you take down the exterior trim around the door?

• Passionately Grounded

It was wider. We did not remove the moldings. The board we mounted the barn door hardware too made it stand out just far enough to clear the moldings :)

• Janice Sneddon

Where did you purchase hardware and was it expensive does blog give detailed how toos

• Meagann Commons

Was the door taller than the original door? I’m trying to create this in my master, but if I do not remove the crown molding the door will not reach the floor... any suggestions?

• Paulinebaxter

love the old door !!

• Laree Martz

I have a couple of doors to use but I have super high ceilings and the hight isn't right for a barn slider any suggestions?