Alexandrea Kaer
Alexandrea Kaer
  • Brookings, OR
Asked on Feb 5, 2013

Pulling together a living room in color and pattern..HELP?!

Refined VintageSweet Pea Studio

I am having the most difficult of time finishing up my living room. Maybe because we don't have a "theme" we are going for, just kind of winging it.
Anyways. The carpet is a beige color, walls are an ivory (rental, can't paint it) and our sofa's are a mocha color. It isn't the worst of situations, just a LOT of brown.
I am thinking about getting this rug from overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Moroccan-Light-Blue-Ivory-Dhurrie-Wool-Rug-5-x-8/6372331/product.html
I absolutely love the light blue and ivory (I think it will tie together beautifully) however, now, I am on curtains and wall decor. I know for sure that I am going to get this light blue "sea blue" color curtains but I want to make the windows have a big impact and I don't know how to do that? Should I add in patterns to the windows also? Also color of coffee table suggestion would be nice, I am fixing to paint those also.
How should I get different patterns and color to mesh beautifully? Advice?
  • Sweet Pea Studio

Alexandrea, You could go to the Sherwin Williams online and upload a picture of your living room to the interactive site. It is for wall color choices but you could use it to play around with the window treatment color by filling in the window areas with the color of your choice. Once you settle on a color you could then decide on adding pattern or plain on your own. I personally like pattern in rugs, paintings, and pillows and the rest of the room pattern free. Check out Paint Techniques by DIY Show Off for painting your tables. Yours in art, Pamela

• Refined Vintage

Alexandra, I don't think themes are necessary or needed. I think you are off to a good start,I like your rug choice : ) The key to mixing patterns is to use only a few complimentary colors that repeat in the different materials. I think a texture like a woven or wood shade would work for your windows, or you could layer the curtains using a pattern and the solid "sea Blue color". So you have sea blue, mocha and ivory, you could introduce a pop of color maybe a coral? add this in pillows on the furniture or accessories like picture frames or lamps, or even in the art work on the wall, you could repeat this color in the patterned window curtains. If you prefer a more neutral soothing look you could add taupe or a sandy beige instead, All these colors would work together as well, maybe painting the coffee table an Ivory or go bold and use the coral. I think it sounds like you have a pretty good sense of style and your choices will work well together. I will add some photos to help you visualize. You didn't mention other furniture but an upholstered chair could be the starting point for expanding on your color scheme. Add some vintage or inherited items to give your room a warm "pulled together over time time" look. You will find lots of inspiration on pinterest, that is where my photos are from. http://pinterest.com/refinedvintage/rooms-i-love/

q pulling together a living room in color and pattern help, home decor, living room ideas, soft blues mostly neutral colors with touch of coralq pulling together a living room in color and pattern help, home decor, living room ideas, a neutral background with the accessories providing all the colorq pulling together a living room in color and pattern help, home decor, living room ideas, woven blinds aqua accents sea blue neutrals with olive green love that oval ottomanq pulling together a living room in color and pattern help, home decor, living room ideas, very similar tones neutrals taupes ivory touch of aqua