Margie
Margie
  • Chesapeake, VA
Asked on Feb 5, 2013

What's the best product to use as a backing for Chalkboards?

A.o6381578WallsTreat Studio/ Kass WilsonMargie
+3

I have a large wooden frame and want to turn it into a chalkboard. There's no glass or backing. What is the best product to use as a backing that can be painted with chalkboard paint? Tips I should know about? Thanks
  • Laurie B

I would try Masonite.

• You can use just about any surface. I would try to use a thin piece of wood. I have even seen some people use thick cardboard. I made my chalkboard from just a cut piece of plywood and about 3 -4 coats of chalkboard paint. (for good coverage) I have a few tips for chalkboard lettering once you get it finished. Probably my first tip would be to season it first. Rub the board down with the long side of a piece of chalk. Once covered, just erase it. Simple and easy!

• KMS Woodworks

masonite or luan would be the cheapest and lightest.

• Margie

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate them. Ellora, the tip about the chalk will definitely be done, had someone else suggest that also.

• MDF, medium density fiber board (like peg board without the holes) can be purchased at any home supply store. They will usually cut them to size for you. One coat of primer should be enough to seal it before painting. Use a foam roller to get the smoothest coat. Best results will come from 2 thin coats rather than one heavy coat.

• A.o6381578

Hardboard (pegboard without the holes) is smooth, lighter and thinner than mdf.