WHEN TO SAY NO (To a plant)

You fall in love, You want it closer to You, You don't think You can live without it.
STOP!! Think with your green thumb and not your plant infatuations.
Been there, got the dead plant as a result. I see it, I want it, can't live without it. I think can 'change' the essential needs to conform to what I can offer it ...but alas....just not the environment it can survive in resulting in guilt, mourning and responsibility of another needless plant death.
Keep temptation at bay, is like going to the grocery store when you are hungry.. You know it's best to make a shopping list and stick to it. Trust me, as a Garden Center manager I WANT to sell you a plant,but as a plant geek I WANT you to keep your passion for planting by encouraging successful planting.
My top 3 'misplaced' plants. This is a compilation of my answers to my clients. (Disclaimer~ this is from the perspective of zone 7b southeastern USA)
*Lace Leaf Japanese Maples. Here in our southeastern zone 7b, you have to put most of these beautiful trees in some protection from the full force of our hot afternoon western exposure sun. They need a consistently cool root zone. I don't want you to plant this in front of your home where the sun is beaming through your dining room window at 5pm....brutal! You will bake those luscious delicate leaves to a crispy critter. She will be much happier if you place her in a less hostile afternoon shade with plenty of mulch over the root zone.
*Leyland Cypress. Yes I know you want a living screen as fast as possible to hide that neighbor mowing his lawn while wearing his Speedo! But if you only have a 15x10ft space from your patio to your property line, you don't have enough room! You will have no lawn left. Leyland Cypress will overwhelm most suburban/urban lots very very quickly
*Grass (yes grass is plant too!) Bermuda hates shade. Fescue hates heat and drought. St. Augustine hates cold. Bent grass hates heat.
Yes you can, but just be prepared for some high maintenance and replacement.
'RIGHT PLANT RIGHT PLACE = HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY
(and if you need advice ask your local garden center professional, they will be more than happy to help you choose the right plants for your landscape , or just ask me here on hometalk!)
Who would want to crisp this luscious leaf with too much sun?
Well this grass is not in the right place!
Yikes, someone is trying to keep a 30' foot tree at 3'....not a pretty site

• Pam Miller

So true. I have committed mass plantacide so many times trying to do it my way. When I settled down and took the time to become educated, I find I grow things quite well and know the thrill that comes watching your efforts come to fruition.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

excellent reminder @Darlene Bonaccorsi ! Nothing better than an emerging leaf or flower @Pam Miller