Metal Tray Up-cycle

I found this metal tray at an antique mall for $1 and thought it would be perfect for an up-cycle project into a Magnetic Calendar/Memo board.
metal tray up cycle, chalkboard paint, crafts, decoupage, how to
I could have just painted the tray, but I've been inspired by the wonderful Mod Podge posts created by Gail over at http://plumperfectandme.blogspot.com/ so I decided to give it a try. If you haven't checked out her amazing projects yet, you are missing out!
I spray painted my tray white. I put an extra coat on the sides of the tray. I wasn't concerned with the center as I would be painting that with chalk board paint eventually.
I coated a side and over the lip underneath with Mod Podge. I took a napkin and placed it over the Mod Podge and using a paint brush and water I carefully worked away any wrinkles. I covered all four sides using the same process and left it to dry overnight.
Using a ruler as a straight edge and a razor blade, I trimmed away the extra napkins.
I covered and taped the sides of the tray in preparation for the chalk paint center.
I used spray chalkboard paint and covered the center of the tray with 3 coats and let it dry overnight.
Using a paint marker, and a ruler to measure the distance between the lines and a scrap piece of foam board as a straight edge, I drew lines for the calendar.
I glued a magnet to the back of a few Scrabble tiles to represent the days of the week, and I painted them. Using chalk markers, I added in the month and the dates in the squares.
Here is the finished project.
You will find more details for this project on my blog!
My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies