Ethan@OPC
Ethan@OPC
  • Catonsville, MD

Making a Fancy Boxed Wine Holder

$5

The only problem with boxed wine is that it comes in an ugly cardboard box. The wine is great, but Jocie usually pours the wine into a carafe when we have guest over. Instead, I made her a snazzy boxed wine holder from pallet wood.
I used my table saw a lot for this project, ripping the pallet boards square and to length. I also created thin strips for braces to glue the boards together. The most difficult step was using a dado stack to create a tongue-and-groove so the backside could slide on and off.
Jocie stenciled that beautiful fleur de lis, and she applied a wax finish to seal the wood. I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and I know we'll be showing it off next chance we get.
Jocie stained the pallet wood and added the beautiful fleur de lis on one side.
The backside slides on and off, and the small hole can be used for carrying the holder.
making a fancy boxed wine holder, diy, how to, pallet
We enjoy Bota Box wines, and that's how I determined the measurements for this holder.
The most difficult step is cutting a tongue-and-groove so that the backside can slide on and off.
Ethan@OPC

• Winepine

Great idea! I agree that the cardboard box isn't the most attractive way to dispense wine. I am curious as to what finish you used, and how long it took to prepare the pallet wood for the lacquer or stain you used. If your ever looking for original wooden wine crates, or even custom wine crates with a personalization engraved on it visit Winepine - www.winepine.com

• Yvonne

I like this idea very much but decided to simply cover each box with wood-looking contact paper since I am elderly and use few boxed wine products each year. Many thanks for getting my brain in gear!