Refacing Oak and Laminate Cabinets Diy

When we moved into our home in 1992 we had no cabinets in our laundry room. We needed some type of storage, and what was current at the time, but probably on their way out, were these fantastic laminate and oak cabinets. You could wipe them down easily, they could be bought off the shelf at the nearby home improvement store, they could be hung easily and the oak at the bottom of the cabinet would match
refacing oak and laminate cabinets diy, diy, how to, kitchen cabinets, laundry rooms, woodworking projects
Well time passes, albeit a little too fast for my taste, and these cabinets are doing nothing for me. I was in desperate need of a change, but there was one problem, there really is absolutely nothing wrong with the cabinets. They are not falling apart, they're sturdy, and they are definitely large enough to hold all my soaps, bleaches and spot removers. I really hate to be wasteful.
I don't have pictures of the cabinets in progress but these are the materials for the cabinet doors. The wainscoting molding comes with a lip so that the paneling can fit snugly under without any ragged edges. Corners had to be mitered with a miter saw. All was attached with the aid of liquid nails and finishing nails where needed.
Longer boards were attached to the outside of the cabinets and extended down 7 inches to allow for a shelf.
The cabinets were raised almost to the ceiling...close enough to allow for some decorative trim.
A hanging pole was inserted between the two cabinets and another shelf above the pole. The cabinets made a huge difference in my laundry room. Make sure you stop by to see the addition of a wood countertop on top of the washer and dryer as well as homemade crates to fit on those 2 shelves and of course more pictures. That was just the first stage of my laundry room makeover. You can see how I added a wood countertop on top of my washer and dryer here: http://scavengerchic.com/2014/10/01/wood-countertop-diy/
ScavengerChic

• Lori

Did you paint the cabinets? If so, what kind of paint?

• Karen Graham

I've been experimenting on the inside of my (same kind) cabinet doors and YES! you can paint them with chalk paint without any prep except a good washing to degrease. Can't wait to start the outside of the doors and gel stain the oak trim in a more current darker color.

• Tillie Liukkonen

It looks like you covered all the laminate surfaces with wood and then painted the wood??? My kitchen is the same laminate and I'm curious if it can be painted? Did you try to paint it first?

• Cheryl Biermann

In a laundry where the use is so much less than a kitchen, I wonder if the wallpaper meant to look like bead board would be an even easier solution?

• Sharron Bennett

Can you tell me where you bought the square wicker clothes basket? The laundry room has some neat ideas and one day mine will be redone. Thanks.

Sharron Bennett

• Li

Wow! That looks great!!!

• Vicki

Oh my gosh! What a great transformation..