DIY Rope Frame

For the Home Depot Gift Challenge our item this month was to use sisal rope. Such an exciting item to use for me because rope can feel very rustic and I absolutely love Rustic design. Since the challenge was for a friend I thought picture frame would be a great item...and how about a group of 3 to put on the wall?
My first step was collecting the supplies that I needed:
1. Sisal Rope (multiple sizes)
2. Circular styrofoam
3. Hot glue
4. magnetic picture frames
5. Stain
Next, I applied hot glue directly to the styrofoam starting in the center and winding ther ope around itself. Making sure to glue in small sections. This happens to be quite tedious but so simple to do.
For my smallest circle "frame" I decided not to start the rope in the center since I was using the larger size rope and the frame would be cover it. Keep wrapping rope around until you have a complete circle. If the circle does not appear perfectly round when finished you can continue wrapping around to outside of the styrofoam area to just the rope. This happened to me on my two larger circles and it worked out just fine when I did this. Then add a loop at the top to hang the frames from.
Last step, add the magnetic picture frames on top and add some cute photos to it. I'm still working on the cute photo part...and I may possibly add a knob to hang the rope from. Also, If you choose to you can stain the rope to give it a gray finish. My walls are gray so I thought staining the large one would be really cute...and I love how the frames look together.

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Deb Foglia

• JeanMarie Sullivan
    JeanMarie Sullivan

Reason for Magnetic picture frames? What are they attracted to?

• Chris
      Chris

...maybe the magnet isn't important but she was trying to indicate where you might find some "frameless" picture holders that would be pretty flat against the piece and be inexpensive...?? Just a guess...

• Jodie White
    Jodie White

I'd love to use this without the picture, just as a trivet! It would go well with little straw baskets my mom nailed on her kitchen wall. (Used picture hangers, so you can easily take off to use. )

Anyway, where would I find sisal of varying sizes, at a decent price?

• Anne Davis
    Anne Davis

this is awesome!

• Conscientious crafter
    Conscientious crafter

As pictured, the picture or art wouldn't be protected at all.

If you want a "rope" picture frame, round or square, put said pic in a flat profile frame. The adhere styrofoam or wood etc to extend the frame to the shape and size desired.

Then glue the rope to that.

This way, the pic is protected under glass and it looks less like a bulletin or dart board.