DIY Deep Picture Ledge Inspired by West Elm

I'm always inspired by West Elm products, and love their picture ledges, but not crazy about the price, so I made my own.
I had a bare wall in my dining room and I knew I wanted something there that would make a statment. Rather than just hanging art, I made Deep Picture Ledges!
Using a 2x4, a piece of treated wood, screws and a drill, we created our ledges. I used my circular saw to cut the pieces to size - one shelf is 24" long and the other is 36" long. I drilled 2 holes in each piece, then gave it a nice stained finish.
I then screwed 2 big screws into the holes we pre-drilled and, after leveling, screwed them into the wall.
Then, we attached the front piece for the shelf with two screws on each side. We used wood filler to smooth out the head of the screw, and stained that piece as well.
All that was left to do was place my art on my ledges!
These shelvs can hold smaller objects like potted plants and vases, too.
By the way, all of those plant prints are available in my shop! See the blog for more details and full tutorial!

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Placeofmytaste

• Wendy Taylor

Great job. I love it. What size screws did you use to drill into the wall? Did you have to use anchors? Thanks 😊
    • Narevalo

This is a great idea. I am going to apply this to my hallway, but I will use thinner boards and make many shorter levels of 'shelves'.

• Sharonsgarden

Why did you use treated wood instead of regular? Seems like regular wood would be much safer for the family indoors.