Ijensen
Ijensen
  • Altamont, UT

Pull Out Pantry

OKAY...a little more than excited to show this. It has been a long time in the making. We removed the wall between our living room and kitchen to make more of a great room. We extended the existing pantry wall by 12" and built in a pull out pantry. Love...Love...Love it. I'll add additional pictures to show you how we did it.
pull out pantry, closet, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design
The pull out is directly to the side of my old pantry. Bought the door to the pull out from the ReStore for $15.00. Couldn't have fit better!
3 stationary shelves to secure the frame. The fence is made with 2 welding rods. I drilled 2 holes on each side and slid them in.
On the adjustable shelves, I turned the shelf upside down and ran through a table saw to make a groove. I then inserted a strip of plexi glass in the grove as the fence on these shelves (I'm holding the plexi glass up to show the groove).
Plexi glass inserted. I actually cut the strips of plexi glass with my table saw also.
I can see why a cabinet maker charges what they do to build these. They are a little detailed. The drawer glides were expensive - like around $150.00 for the 4 of them (it will support 280 lbs). It was trial and error for the most part, but it turned out great. We built the shell out of furniture grade plywood, the shelving unit with 1" lumber.
Bought the OXO clear containers for some of my storage (OXO is expensive!!), the little glass bottles from the $ Tree for spices, and the solid white containers from ReStore for $1-2 each. They even have a little scoop on the lid!!
It was a lot of work, but love it. Wouldn't it be great to have a whole wall of these!!
Thought I'd update and share what I did inside the original pantry....:) I did some recessed fillers between the studs to hold bags and brooms....:)
And added some pull out drawers (bought online for really cheap) to the deep shelves on the left. You know how things get shoved to the back....forgotten and become outdated.

• Tray Bailey

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I don't have the woodworking equipment for this project. I wonder if you couldn't do a replica by fitting out a well-made shelf with extra trim?

• Ijensen

You know....I am a firm believer you can modify just about anything to make it work....:) I basically used a chop saw, table saw and drill for making this.

• Melissa V

I think her point is just that-how many of us have chop saws and table saws? It is a great idea and if you can afford a carpenter to custom build one to spec, and you have the room for it. I'm glad people are getting ideas about how something like this would work in those awkward spaces in the kitchen, laundry, bath, workshop, RV-Thanks for the inspiration!

• Charlene

Love the small spice jar containers..where did you find these please ?

• Rochelle B

The article says dollar tree

• Ijensen

Yup....Dollar Tree.... for a dollar....LOL

• Sheryll S

I also would like to know gthe order number for the spice jars that you got from $ Tree??? I can of find them in my store OR online. Maybe it was not Dollar Tree?

• Rena Noele

Like at the ReStore, the Dollar Tree merchandise is "buy it when you see it" or else you'll miss it. They have no regular inventory.

• Chris Jolly

Do you have a name or link to the slides you used???

• Dennie

Where is the fridge? I don't see it in any of your pics. I have a seven inch space between my fridge and wall. I would dearly love to have one of these there.

• Ijensen

The fridge is on the other side of the kitchen.....left of the island on the same side as the sink and dishwasher. We re-configed the kitchen when we remodeled.

• Theresia Jordans

Several of these instead of the one pantry would give a whole lot more space for containers. Like those compacta library shelves. I have my washing machine and dryer in the pantry with shelving on the doors and above the laundry trough. Would love one of these between the fridge and the pantry/laundry wall. My laundry/pantry is in the kitchen.

• Linda Roberts

Just remember the heat from your fridge might cause mill worms to hatch. I had a cabinet over my stove, I put dry goods up there ended up with them in my flour, oatmeal and things like cereal or cream of wheat. You probably know this, hope it helps others.

• Peg7818307

Where did you find "pantry" sign, please?

• Fawnia Pasternak

What is ReStore?

• Daniel O

ReStore is a Habitat for Humanity store that sells all kinds of building materials. http://www.habitat.org/restores" target="_blank">http://www.habitat.org/restores

• Geri Ann

It's a Habitat for Humanity store

• Ijensen

So sorry...just saw this but yes, ReStore is the Habitat for Humanity. Great store...but if you see something you like, better grab it as their inventory changes and you may never see it again....:) Although their items are donated, they get a ton of brand new items also.

• Jill Medow Smith

I guess it depends on where you live. Our ReStore is located in our high-end city but the stuff they have in there is crap.

• Ijensen

I actually go to 3 different ReStores....and I have one I like the best....but have found great deals at all of them....:)

• Connnie

All proceeds from the ReStore help to build the Habitat homes for the deserving families who in turn play a monthly mortgage I interest free. It is a wonderful organization that helps many people achieve their dream of owning a home.

• Aun2593714

Did you use a label maker or computer to print the name of the spices? I'm looking for a label maker to purchase and I like the font you used. I Like the clear labels as well. TIA

• Onalee J Clark

Staples has many style and sizes of label makers. Easy to use

• TARA

You can print something in the font you like, put a 2-inch tape strip over it, and use water to take the extra paper off. Then you can sick it to your container.

• Ijensen

I have a Roland Stika vinyl cutter. I just did all the lettering with it. The Stika allows you to use any font you have on your computer....I have really loved it.

• Marcia

Hope so- just looked them up & they're $400-900!!! Cool.

• Rena Noele

Of the pantry drawer glides that you ordered from the internet, is there a glide at the center top, and two heavy duty ones at the bottom? I'm trying to customize my tall pantry cabinet. Since it's only counter depth, I'm thinking that a couple of Rockler 22" at the bottom, but not sure about the top glide.

• Ijensen

I used 2 sets of drawer glides...one on each side of the top and bottom. I have seen the center glides mounted under the bottom of the shelf on some, but mine are on both sides. It pulls out so smooth. It is a little trick to have them mounted exactly even. I mounted the glides on the side piece before putting the box together. Just laid them out side by side so I knew they matched up.

• Chris

Could you put two or three of these in where your original pantry is. Say take out the shelves and take door off. Would that work

• Jerry Meisel

yes, it can be done a fair amount of work. Jerry

• Ijensen

I think you sure could...you would just need to put a board or something in between (top and bottom) the different units for the drawer glides to mount on. I think it would be awesome!!!!

• Pat Paniccia

Where online did you buy the pullout drawers?

• Shawna Bailey

Amazon has http://amzn.to/2hMZNSy" target="_blank">http://amzn.to/2hMZNSy but I'd love to know what prices she paid for them.

• Ijensen

I brought them from a place called CabinetMaid a few years ago. I paid between $15-$20 a piece depending on the width and depth. If I can find the information, I will post it.

• Connie

What and where is Restore? I would love to have the white containers. Thanks!
    • Rachel Radue

Connie: it's a store run by Habitat for Humanity. It's where building materials are for sale that are donations from people having remodeled or contractors having new stuff that can't use (i.e. An extra door or toilet or vanity) etc. The problem is the items for sale are hit or miss. None that I've ever been to sell any actual products, its just like a goodwill for home construction materials. Maybe they've added some goods that they sell, like the white containers, but I've never seen that at the ones in IL or WI.
  • Barbara Babette Warren

What label maker did you use? It's wonderful
    • Ijensen

I used my Roland Stika - a vinyl cutter. It is wonderful and uses any font you have on your computer.
    • Ck.20014795

I don't have anything as glamorous as this, it is incredible. But, U have one if those really deep and narrow pantries. I got a ton of jars at Ikea, Walmart, etc. I put chalkboard labels and used chalkboard paint to put
      the names on. It looks wonderful and much easier for me.

• Roxie

I don't think I've ever seen even any "fancy pants cabinet maker" work that is as exceptionally well done as YOURS! WOW! = - }
    • Ijensen

Oh my Roxie.....how nice of you to say!!! You definitely made my day....:)
  • Katie Warner

Where is the Restore? Is it online? Thanks
    • Ijensen

Habitat for Humanity store. They call them ReStore. I think you can google if there is one in your area.
  • Lilpixiestixxx

IM in love with the spice jars where did you find them? AND I love your idea now to find someone to build something similar!

• Pen25529643

This is a brilliant idea!~ I can see that this was well worth the work. In the part of the world I live in, space is at a premium, so this is a stellar solution. Thanks for sharing this!

• Lovesunique

Beautiful storage area. The width is perfect as it seems to hold all sorts of sizes: jars, cannisters, cans.