Wall Planter Repurposed From A Water Fountain

I've always wanted water fountain on our upper deck.
I finally found one I liked- and it was on sale!
It was a cute little faux-stone fiberglass number with faux-carved swirls and flowers and a little faux-spicket.
I bought it and took my new acquisition home, dreaming of relaxing in my hammock on my upper deck while I listened to its gentle, relaxing flow of water.
I hung it on my upper deck wall, filled it up with water, plugged it in, and...
Well, let's just say it wasn't a gentle-relaxing-put-me-to-sleep kinda sound.
It was more like a oh-crap-I-left-the-water-on-somewhere kinda sound.
I tinkered with it for a while, but I could never get it to sound like anything other than a leaky faucet.
So I turned it off, dumped the water out, wrapped the cord around the spicket, and left it hanging on my upper deck wall.
For two years.
wall planter repurposed from a water fountain, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling
A couple of weeks ago, my hubby installed a water hookup on the upper deck to make washing it down easier.
We used to have to throw a rope down, tie a water hose to it, haul the rope and hose back up, and take care of business.
Needless to say, the upper deck didn't get washed down very much.
Anyways, after the install, I was thinking about how I can finally overload the upper deck with plants now that I had easy access to water.
Which got me thinking about the little water fountain. Wouldn't it make a cute wall planter?
I had my hubby drill some holes in the bottom of the soon-to-be wall planter for drainage.
I wanted to keep the faux-spicket its original color, so I wrapped it up with some painting tape and spray-painted everything else white.
Once the paint was dried, I removed the tape from the faux-spicket. I then did some antiquing and distressing with a dark wax and a emery board.
A little trick I picked up on Pinterest a while back: before putting dirt in a pot or planter, line the bottom with coffee filters, covering up any drainage holes. This will keep the potting soil from falling though when you first put it in and when you water afterwards.
I filled it with potting soil, planted it with pretty flowers, watered it well and hung it on my upper deck.
Fabulous! :)
I hope you enjoyed my little repurposing transformation! Click on the link below to see this and other great projects on my blog!
Michelle @ The Painted Hinge

The Painted Hinge