Giving A Sad, Worn Out Park Bench New Life

$50
1-2 Week

The house I inherited from my mother had this sad old park bench that was left behind by a former tenant of hers. Aside from the rusting on the frame, I knew it could be beautiful again.
Getting ready to dismantle.
Boards were all disintegrating.
Iron frame was chipping & rusty.
12 boards @ .75" x 1.5" x 48"
He had used one of the old boards that was still intact enough to use as a pattern to mark holes on both ends of all the boards, then he made a recess for the bolt to nestle into.
My husband sanded all the boards down & sanded 2 corner edges of each board to kind of round them off for better sitting comfort.
Note the rounded edges.
He gave all the boards 2 coats of the red spray paint (we used Cabernet color), then once they were well dried, gave them all a coat of clear coat.
He spray-painted the heads of the bolts to match the cast iron frame by poking them through a piece of cardboard.
He used a steel bristle sanding attachment for the drill to clean the rust & chipped paint off. In some areas, he used naval jelly on the rust.
Putting it all together.
It's all done.
It has found its new home in our front yard.

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space

• Michael Kelterborn

YES I'M DOING ONE NOW I REUSED ALL THE WOOD SLATS I JUST SANDED THEM AND RESTAINED AND URATHANE SEALED ALSO I REPLACED ALL THE HARDWARE WITH STAINLESS STEEL AND NYLON NUTS AND WIRE BRUSHED ALL THE CAST IRON PIECES AND SPRAY PAINTED I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW DID YOU KEEP IT FROM BEING WISHY WASHY SIDETO SIDE WITHOUT A UGLY PIECE OR TWO PIECES OF WOOD

• Colleen

How does he stop it moving sideways?

• Art

Most of my boards are shot. What are the best wood(s) for replacement?

Art

• James Wong

I have the same old set of the cast iron garden bench too. I will try to build up. Your post is a great info. Thank you very much.

• Jaq Segal

What’s the best way to keep the bench from swaying side-to-side?

• Wdo913161

There should be metal straps to stabilise the bench. One runs from the top centre down behind the bench following the curve of the seat and is fastened with screws in 3 of the wood pieces. There should be 2 more that run from each cast iron end and run toward,but not all the way to, the centre of the bench. These, as well, are screwed through the bottom of the wooden slats.