Jan B.
Jan B.
  • Crossville, TN

Plant, Pick, Pound! Pound What??

You will need a hammer, a board (to slide under cloth) clear wrap, fresh picked flowers and imagination! These were what I had available but many, many flowers will work, even just leaves. I posted the fun directions, wonderful craft to do with children.
how to pound flowers, crafts, flowers, how to

• Ann Vickery

Do let it dry first and then set it because your note said to not to try and remove stuck on pieces, to brush off when dry. Or do you put the fabric with pieces stuck on into the salt water solution and then dry? Thanks, it's beautiful.

• Jan B.

@Ann Vickery Hi Ann..after you pound and lift off the clear wrap, IF some parts of the flower are "stuck" to cloth" let the flower/greenery dry some and then gently pick off. Don't leave any pieces stuck on, lightly brush off using a soft touch. When all pieces are OFF......THEN DO THE SALT WATER SOLUTION. Have fun one really can't make a mistake pounding flowers.

• Catherine

Can you do this on a canvas?

• Jan B.

Hi..you could give it try, never have tried it myself, the only thing that comes to mind..when dry you would have to seal with some sort of sealer. Also if canvas is already wrapped on frame, need to place book or block of wood under before you pound. If canvas if flat, not stretched, just follow instructions. I really believe you could "pound out" a beautiful natural creative canvas. Keep me posted when you try it! Jan

• Catherine

I will give it a try. Thank you.

• Ana Char

Thanks for a FUN new craft! My friends and I can't wait to try it and I bet a nice piece of fern would be gorgeous to hang on the wall as a framed print. Thanks again for sharing your talents, much appreciated! Aloha!

• Jan B.

Oh My Ana...with all the beautiful flowers and greenery around you, hope you try more then ferns! Please read some of the comments and answers for extra tips. Aloha! Jan

• Lynda Ehret

I tried this technique on a t-shirt. When I soaked it in salt water, my design bled to other parts of the shirt. Then when I hung it outside to dry, the colors ran down from my design and left streaks. I thought about pouring the salt water over the shirt while the cardboard was still in it and then drying it that way. Any suggestions on how to avoid these problems? Thanks! Lynda

• Jan B.

Hi Lynda...so sorry about his....all I can think of you didn't let the pounded flowers dry on the shirt before you soaked in salt water. ...also a quick "dip" in the salted water is best, not soaking...and squeezing gently is also better then wringing out. SUGGESTION..don't use cardboard inside, I use wood cutting board. Using the same shirt, NOT with cardboard inside and "pound" another design right over the streaked/run down areas. Let flowers DRY..then gently rinse. I would also lay flat to dry in sun or put in dryer. 100% cotton works best...no polyester! Please let me know how it went, Jan

• Brends Cedillio

Have you tried white vinegar to set the flower dye

• Tbo10456008

This is very pretty! I'm assuming that pink flower is a dyed flower, not the natural color. Does it work as well with a naturally colored flower?

• Jan B.

So sorry ...wrong assumption...everything was picked fresh from my garden... colors are true and all real.

• Helen White Ellerbach

What a beautiful project? What types of fabric did you use for the demo? Will polyester (ugh) work. Types of fabric you would not use. Thanks. Helen

• Jan B.

do you paint on or use real flowers?

• Jan B.

Only real flowers & leaves. You can add detail if you wish with fine point Sharpies which come in many colors and are permanent,

• Sjones6091

Beautiful! Since napkins are used can they truly be used and washed? and if so are there any special washing instructions?

• Jan B.

Glad you like this idea! As for washing, nowadays laundry detergent seems to be getting more powerful. I would wash like a gentle sweater using gentle soap. I realize stains will occur and bleaching would come to mind, however I would not recommend bleach or strong cleaners. You might try to "seal" your design with podpodge or check into fabric sealers/coatings. Should you have color troubles...remember you can always "pound over" with fresh bright flowers.

• Sjones6091

thanks

• Betty Hoyle Rudo

Have you tried a dark cotton with light-colored or white flowers? Curious to see what that would do, if anything. These are beautiful, by the way! Lovely gift idea too!

• Jan B.

Never have tried dark color to pound. I would imagine a red flower, yellow or white might take. Find an old t-shirt that is dark and just try one or two flowers to see how they take when pounded. Please read all the questions and answers for some wonderful tips. Main thing..HAVE FUN. P.S......SHOULD THIS NOT WORK YOU CAN ALWAYS POUND OUT YOUR FRUSTRATIONS!

• Moo11737030

Hi There,

Does the color fade when washed?
    Thanks,

Moonyeen

• Jan B.

If you wait and let the colors set (dry) then follow the salt wash/dry and press should stay..... ONLY wash by hand, do not wring, squeeze...plus they do sell a fabric spray to set/seal colors.

• M

Can you use regular table salt?

• Jan B.

Yes... I should have said more salt then less...not strong.....sorry, Jan

• Lois Imbriano Barber

Can you recommend what flowers work best and what do not? Have you tried hydrangea? What are the pink ones you used?

• Jan B.

You really have to experiment with flowers and leaves. The deeper their color the better they "bleed" when you pound them. Never have tried hydrangea's...Pansies work really well. If not certain how flowers will come out...try all sorts of different ones on a "sample" cloth and write the name of each flower after you pound. Once you see how they "bleed" you can then design your creation. Hope this helps, Jan

• Joan Stoffel

Marigolds work great, as do their leaves, tomato plant leaves do too!
      Geraniums and their leaves are gorgeous!
      Those worked the best for me.

• Jan B.

Thanks Joan for sharing what pounds best! This really is "fun" project ..no mistakes here!

• Dawn

How can you add a photo?

• Jan B.

Sorry I don't know what photo you are talking about for me to add!! Please inform ...Jan

• Wendy

Hi Dawn, if you are looking to add a photo to your question, click on the camera icon underneath your text box.

• JoAnn Tapia

I could not read, directions too small Where can I get direction? Would love to try

• Leda Jones

I have a white tank top I like to clean in, paint, etc...so it looks a bit dingy and some stains, I'm going to use this to spruce it up a bit! I have lots of different flowers and evergreens to play with.

• Jan B.

That will work! I don't believe I mention this...you can take just a petal or two, not the whole "chunky" flower.....like colorful zinnias...or deep rose petals..and pound just the petals. Pansies really are my favorite, colors pound well. Give us a photo of your creation!!

• Dawn

No question here just wanted to share how the color of the flower does not always transfer as the same. I used deep red roses and the transfer to the fabric was actually a deep purple color and viot colored Sweet Williams turned blue on the fabric. Still very beautiful though.