How to Clean the Washing Machine Without Harsh Chemicals

1-2 Hour

It’s quick and easy to clean your washing machine using natural products.
For this cleaning job we use soda crystals and white vinegar both of which are available cheaply at the supermarket.
I prefer to clean the washing machine using more natural products especially as I have young children at home – chemicals are best kept to a minimum especially around inquisitive types! You do have to make sure you store soda crystals out of sight and reach of children as they are an irritant.
What you need:
cup of soda crystals
2 cups of white vinegar
dish washing soap
First remove the soap dispenser and give it a wash in warm soapy water, scrub any crevices using an old toothbrush. This will remove any build up of black gunky soap that can hang around in there.
Clean inside the soap dispenser space in the washing machine, again use dish washing soap and a toothbrush to scrub any small tight areas and finally wipe around with a cloth before returning the clean soap dispenser.
Add the soda crystals to the soap dispenser.
Tip the white vinegar directly into the drum of the washing machine.
Put the washing machine on the highest temperature cycle to wash.
Once it’s finished use a soft cloth to wipe clean the inside of the glass door and the rubber door seal. Dry the rubber door seal and leave the door slightly ajar so air can circulate.
The outside of the washing machine can be cleaned with a microfibre cloth and warm soapy water. It’s a good idea to do this once every few weeks as part of an easy housework routine.
Washing Machine Cleaning Tips:
Door seal – this is the one part of the washing machine that gets black mould on it the quickest. Once the black mould is on the rubber door seal this can’t be removed. Only option is to change the seal. You can usually order door seals from the parts department of the manufacturer. The best way to prevent the door seal getting black mould on it is to make sure you dry the seal after use and leave the door slightly ajar so air circulates.

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Everything Red For Canada Day
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Wendy Mallins

• Thalia Kottke

What are soda crystals? Baking soda or washing soda?

• MATTIE HYDE

Sodium bicarbonate is CHNaO3, while sodium carbonate is Na2CO3. Simply heat baking soda or sodium bicarbonate in a 200 F oven for about an hour. Carbon dioxide and water will be given off, leaving dry sodium carbonate. This is the soda ash.

• Jonniemae.thompson

what are soda crystals?

• Paul Brook

Soda Crystals are NOT the same as soda ash or bicarb. They are Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate.
  • WENDY

Ok.... I want to try this for my front loader. But.... I’ve never heard of “soda crystals nor soda ash”. Please tell me where/what store sells this.

• Danielle Odin

Well, I clean my clothes and my machine at the same time. I use non-scented bio detergent, Oxi clean powder for heavy soils and white vinegar as a rinse. I am allergic to the rinses offered as all fabric softners have the same composition. My machine is quite old as I live in an apartment that has them and it was here when I moved in and I have no idea how many tenants it has served. It is a stackable unit with the dryer on top. The white vinegar and the Oxi-clean are good cleaner for the machine as well.
  • HomyHolds

Spot on! Your step by step instructions with images is very helpful. I have been using home remedies to clean my washing machine as well. However, sometimes I use a commercial product and I prefer Affresh in that case. I wrote an article on my site as well to clean a washing machine with home remedies. I will love it if you check and give feedback. Thanks!