Just Say NO to As Seen On TV Spicy Shelf Organizer..and YES to DIY!!!

$3

Depending on the size of your cabinet, you can get 2-4 of these DIY spice shelves for around $3.00.

Why pay $24.99 (on sale at JC Penney's) when $3.00 and a few minutes in your garage/workshop can create something better?

For less than $3.00 (8ft 1X2"), a few cuts and some wood glue you can create this. Just measure the width of the cabinet back, cut your first board to that length. Measure the cabinet to the front, minus the width of your back piece and cut 2 additional lengths for the sides. I chose to round the inside corner. I lightly sanded with one of those sponge sander blocks and glued the side pieces to the end piece. I clamped them real tight and made sure they were good and flat.  How simple is that!!! When selecting your board, choose one with the fewest amount of knots possible, and good clean grain in the wood. Most stores will actually cut the board for you if you don't have a tool at home (some will do it for free - other have a small charge).

I did have to cut the right side of the side piece a little shorter to allow for the cabinet door hinge. I also rounded the end a little to give a cleaner look. Best part is they are totally adjustable as your future needs change. Using the pin holes already in my cabinet sides, I just put the pin support where I want the shelf, and put the shelf down on it.

Now no more emptying half the cabinet to get that spice bottle/can way in the back. I think we all agree...maximizing our cabinet space is a must....especially for the little things.

I am considering doing a larger version in the cabinet with my dishes for the mugs. We don't use mugs often, but like them for hot beverages on cold winter nights. They take up a lot of shelf space!!!

• 8 ft 1"X2" board
  • Wood Glue

25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable

• Big25533584

How can I order the items needed to build these spice racks??
    • Ijensen

I used the little shelf pins to hold up the shelf. Most cabinets have the shelf holes you put the pin in on both sides, one to the front and one hole to the back on each side (so 4 for each shelf). The wood shelf is just glued together. If you go to a lumber yard, they will have the 1X2" boards and they will usually cut the lengths for you if you know the size you need.
  • RW

Thanks so much for sharing this. I just looked at a lot of different ideas and am planning to do this immediately. My cabinet is a lot narrower than yours. It'll still work, and no worrying about how to attach it -- shelves added are even adjustable!

Wish you'd shared what you used for joinery at the butt joint of sides and rear piece. What did YOU use? Kind of small for a biscuit joint. Dowels? I don't see any cleats under. Screwed in from the rear? Kreg jig on the side or below? (Seems narrow for that.) I get hung up on the choices.

• RW

Thank you so much. I over complicated it. I never imagined glue alone would hold the joint but I do realize it's not very weight-bearing.

• Tanya Whatley Owens

I don't have the pegs to put the shelf on in my cabinet, so I will have to make legs. How far from the bottom of the cabinet is it to the bottom of your first shelf? And then how many inches from top of the bottom shelf to the bottom of the regular shelf above it? Just trying to make it easier for me with out having to do all the measuring. Yours look to be the perfect height. Thank you for sharing this idea.

• Samijc8

Ah, I gotcha! And now that I've looked the picture up and down more, I really see it. Thanks for making me re-look at it because it really is genius!
  • Catherine Thurman

Great 👍 job