Glass Electrical Insulator Vase Stand Tutorial

If you're like me, you like to collect shiny things.
If you're really like me, you don't know what to do with the shiny things once you've collected them.
So my collections end up in one of my cupboards collecting dust.
Antique glass electrical insulators are one of those shiny things I like to collect. I've seen them used as a part of a wall mounted vase, which looked really cool. But I wanted something freestanding I could put on my table.
Now, if you're really really like me, you also have a bunch of stuff you don't use anymore.
Like wire hangers.
But you keep anyway just in case you can use it for for something else.
Like a DIY project. :)
To be fair, wire hangers do come in handy for around the house purposes.
Like when you need to fish out a stupid sock that decided it wanted to fall behind the dryer when you were taking the clothes out.
But DIY projects are more fun.
You will need:
A electric insulator
A wire hanger
With the wire hanger flat and the hook facing away from you, bend both sides of the wire hanger down in the mid spot between the hook and the ends.
Okay, this is going to be hard to explain, so bear with me. With the wire hanger in the same position as when you bent both sides down, take the hook and pull it towards you; then up, over, then under the straight wire on the bottom of the hanger. You will have twisted the top part of the hanger 360 degrees around the bottom part of the hanger and the hook will be back at the same point it started at, just now it's been twisted completely around the bottom flat wire of the hanger. This makes a place that will securely hold the electric insulator in the middle of the hanger.
Straighten the hanger hook and re-bend it at the very bottom so all three legs are the same length.
This is what the finished product looks like. You may have to finagle with a bit to get all the legs even.
Insert the insulator in the middle of the stand to where it will sit snugly. It is surprisingly sturdy, and as long as all the legs are the same length, it will not tip!
Add water and flowers, and you've got yourself one sharp looking centerpiece! :)
Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions!
Click on the link below to see this and other great projects on my blog!
Michelle @ The Painted Hinge

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
The Painted Hinge

• Ann

I use my blue one in the center of a birdbath.

• Alyce Brim

We have two five gallon pails of insulators-green & clear. Some people make hanging lights out of them-drill hole in middle-attach electrical wire with bulb outlet(small bulbs & attach several to have bar lights above their counters. Alyce-IA.