DIY - Citrus Infused Vinegar Cleaning Solution

Vinegar is an incredibly powerful liquid. There are almost endless health benefits by using it both inside and outside your body (recipe here, here and here. ) You probably also know it can be used as a replacement for most cleaning solutions and detergents, and because it is so good for your health, it has almost no dangerous side effects. If anything, using vinegar as your goto cleaner can only improve the health of you and your family.
Adding citrus to a vinegar cleaner not only adds a pleasant smell, but it increases the cleaning power. Like many toxic cleaners, citrus helps it cut through grease, destroy molds and bacterias that may be hiding in your house and more. There are recipes out there for mixing vinegar with essential oils to get the same thing, but there's something nice about making it yourself that we just love at our house.
Here is the recipe:1. Fill a one quart mason jar with citrus peels.
2. Cover peels with white vinegar, place lid on jar, shake and allow to sit for 2-3 weeks.
3. Strain the citrus peels out of the vinegar.
4. Mix the vinegar solution and water in a spray bottle. (You can mix it in a 1:1, 1:2 or 1:3 solution depending on how strong you want your solution)
5. If you want more recipes and how-tos for making your own cleaners, check out this great post! http://www.theyummylife.com/Natural_Citrus_Vinegar_Cleaners
diy citrus infused vinegar cleaning solution, cleaning tips, homesteading
Jeremy Dixon

• Jen R.

I can't wait to try this! However, in your blog post it says not to use this on granite. I have granite in the kitchen and both bathrooms. Any tips on environmentally friendly cleaners I can use on granite?

• Peggy Kettelhut Anderson

@Jen R. Hydrogen Peroxide. Use a spray bottle, spray on and wipe off.

• Jen R.

Thank you!

• Kathfz

I use vinegar mixed with water on my granite counters and never had a problem with it. Just dilute 50 to 50 with water.

• E Mary

I mix 1 cup alcohol ( 70 %) 1/2 cup water and dash of Dawn soap in spray bottle for granite ........works great

• Sue

Try 1/4 c rubbing alcohol, 3 drops of liquid detergent and 5-10 drops of the essential oil of your choice. Fill a 16 oz bottle with this mix and water. It works great!

• Nancy

The rubbing alcohol recipe appears to offer the best with least potential damage. I might suggest tea tree essential oil, also. Check the blogs for any restrictions on it, tho. I know it can potentially kill pets if used directly on them -- tho not humans. I found a product brand I LOVE and it adds a protective coating --- totally "green". It is Bayes, ordered online --but, they say Home Depot carries it. I now use all of their products.

• Joyce Shoe

Will it clean inside commode bowl from hard water?

• Rau8377547

I don't know if it will but a pumis stone will. Use your rubber gloves & scrub, there's no scaring what so ever.

• Brenda

Using a pumis stone will remove the protective finish that all new fixtures have on them. Vinegar will not remove hard water build up no matter how hard you scrub. Sprinkle Lemon kool aid inside the toilet and scrub with a toilet brush. Voila, it's like new.

• Artemis

I tried lemon kool aid and it didn't work. I left it on for quite a while and tried it a couple of times (to use up the kool aid).

• Nancy

There was a program in the UK that I was addicted to as two very posh ladies went into houses so revolting you WOULDN'T PUT YOUR PET MOUSE IN IT. They, obviously, did this a lot. Fresh lemon g half and salt on it. Scrub around the bowl, refreshing the salt, then leave for a few hours and flush. If I remember , for the worst cases, they made a paste of it and packed it around the bowl and left it.

• Barb in Texas

If you remember what it was, please let us know. I just bought a subscription to some Brit tv shows, and would love to look this one up!

• Kathryn Sanderson

There was a BBC show called "How Clean Is Your House?" The hosts were a Scottish lady and an English lady. I think one of them was a chemist or some other kind of scientist. They helped people clean unbelievably dirty homes. One of their tricks was cleaning things with mouthwash because it smelled good and actually disinfected things. That might be the show Nancy is thinking of. If not, it was still a good show.

• Crazyponylady

can a person just add real lemon juice to the vinegar? if so how much? :)

• Lillian

Please advise if you use white or yellow vinegar for the citrus and vinegar infused cleaner. Thank you.

• Dia22732341

will this clean plant leaves with harming them?
    • Lori Hall

I would not use this on plants. When I was head of my daughter's school gardening club, we used vinegar to kill weeds. It can prevent soil from bearing seeds for months after.
    • Dia22732341

Thank you!
  • Kbr24584072

how long will this solution last and be effective?
  • Flb33953599

would this attract ants?

• Lora

Vinegar is a preservative. It is used to make pickles, for example. I would expect it to last for years.

• Sandra H

I have what is referred to as an 'Osage orange' tree. The fruit of this tree is as beautiful as any orange, yet too bitter to eat. My question is, can I use them for this great project?

• Hamdy

Can I use that for Wool carpets?

Thanks

• Constance Wickens

Thanks! I use vinegar and never knew it could be improved to clean and smell better.
  • Anna Smith

Yes, I am about to peel and eat an orange, putting peel into a vinegar-filled jar immediately!

such a sweet-smelling cleaning product.

Thank you.