Create a Unique Basket From an Old Sauce Pot

$5

Using sisal twine and a thrift store pot I created a unique "basket" with a rustic farmhouse feel. It is an easy and inexpensive way to DIY a place to decoratively store just about anything!
There are days when I want to create, but feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that I have purchased to DIY....too many choices to work on with no clue what to do with anything. Normally during those times, I go shop for more so that I can feel inspired by something new. And yes, this just makes the problem worse!
Rather than going to my local Goodwill to find something to create, though, I went to the pile of stuff in my basement that I was going to be donating to Goodwill. I got to "shop" through things that I wasn't seeing any value in anymore. Not only did this avoid adding more finds to my stock, but it was free!
I chose a sauce pot out of the pile and brought it upstairs to figure out something to make.
Believe it or not, choosing a random item and forcing yourself to figure out something to do with it is wonderful for developing a little creativity. It focuses your attention on just one item and allows your mind to really ponder what could be made out of the item in front of you.
I thought for awhile about how I could transform this into something useful while sticking with my style.
What I decided to do with my old pot was to turn it into a storage "basket" using hot glue and sisal . Can I just say that this project took maybe 15 minutes and I am totally in love with the result? The simple DIY project created a container to decoratively store just about anything from towels in the bathroom as I'm showing here to mail in an entryway or magazines or toys on a shelf. Imagine what you need to store and it could probably go into this pot!
The handles needed to be removed from the sides of the pot. There were metal pieces attached to the pot that went inside the handles, but I just folded these over against the pot with a hammer.
Using a glue gun, wrap the sisal around the pot, gluing every so often to secure it to the metal. The pot I was using had a lip around the top, so I started gluing the sisal on just under it.
Take the sisal down to the bottom of the pot, and then cut it wherever your want the back to be.
It looked a little plain to me, so I decided to add two basket "handles" as well.
I glued on two sisal loops, but again it was missing something, so I wrapped jute twine around the handles so that they looked like they were sewn onto the basket. This is easier to do before the handles are glued onto the pot.
And about 15 minutes later your project is complete! This is such an easy project that anyone can do with a random pot or baking pan you might find (or have on hand!).
I really love the texture of the sisal and think it pairs perfectly with the metal band around the top of the pan.

Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Jamie

• CapnChaos

If the holes are big enough, or you can make the holes bigger, what about poking the ends of "handle" rope thru and making a knot on the inside of the pan, making a loop handle? Knots on the inside, loops on the out. Does this make sense? :) :)

• Shirley

It would work, but those pot handle rivets would have left small holes. You could drill them out to be big enough for the rope. The edges would be sharp, though, so maybe using a metal file or a narrow layer of glue on those edges would prevent the new rope handles from fraying against them.

• Yvonne Gustafson

I love the idea but if it’s a bathroom that’s used a lot how did you keep from getting mold in the rope? Did you spray a protectant on it?

• Jewellmartin

Hi, Yvonne. Unless your bathroom is frequently steamy or water is splashed all over and not wiped up immediately, you shouldn’t have a problem with mold or rust. But if you want to protect the project, I have 2 suggestions: first, spray the pot inside and out before wrapping, with a waterproof sealer; second, spray the sisal before wrapping it on the pot, and later after wrapping. And on a low wide shelf or table or under the sink would be good places to use the pot. That should keep the pot safe unless someone decides to fill it with bubbles in the bathtub. Restrain yourself!

• Jennie

Thanks, good idea. I have some old pots which I had planned to use them for planting. But this is another great idea. Did you put anything in the inside so it wouldn’t get rusty or moldy?

• Cyndee

I think lace or dollies draped around the top rim would just the added touch a person might be looking for

• VEE

This is an awesome idea! Any additions would be great also, but the initial idea is awesome..Thank you!