Jamie
Jamie
  • Brockway, PA

Create a Unique Basket From an Old Sauce Pot

$5

Using sisal twine and a thrift store pot I created a unique "basket" with a rustic farmhouse feel. It is an easy and inexpensive way to DIY a place to decoratively store just about anything!
how to create a unique basket from an old sauce pot, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling
There are days when I want to create, but feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that I have purchased to DIY....too many choices to work on with no clue what to do with anything. Normally during those times, I go shop for more so that I can feel inspired by something new. And yes, this just makes the problem worse!
Rather than going to my local Goodwill to find something to create, though, I went to the pile of stuff in my basement that I was going to be donating to Goodwill. I got to "shop" through things that I wasn't seeing any value in anymore. Not only did this avoid adding more finds to my stock, but it was free!
I chose a sauce pot out of the pile and brought it upstairs to figure out something to make.
Believe it or not, choosing a random item and forcing yourself to figure out something to do with it is wonderful for developing a little creativity. It focuses your attention on just one item and allows your mind to really ponder what could be made out of the item in front of you.
I thought for awhile about how I could transform this into something useful while sticking with my style.
What I decided to do with my old pot was to turn it into a storage "basket" using hot glue and sisal . Can I just say that this project took maybe 15 minutes and I am totally in love with the result? The simple DIY project created a container to decoratively store just about anything from towels in the bathroom as I'm showing here to mail in an entryway or magazines or toys on a shelf. Imagine what you need to store and it could probably go into this pot!
The handles needed to be removed from the sides of the pot. There were metal pieces attached to the pot that went inside the handles, but I just folded these over against the pot with a hammer.
Using a glue gun, wrap the sisal around the pot, gluing every so often to secure it to the metal. The pot I was using had a lip around the top, so I started gluing the sisal on just under it.
Take the sisal down to the bottom of the pot, and then cut it wherever your want the back to be.
It looked a little plain to me, so I decided to add two basket "handles" as well.
I glued on two sisal loops, but again it was missing something, so I wrapped jute twine around the handles so that they looked like they were sewn onto the basket. This is easier to do before the handles are glued onto the pot.
And about 15 minutes later your project is complete! This is such an easy project that anyone can do with a random pot or baking pan you might find (or have on hand!).
I really love the texture of the sisal and think it pairs perfectly with the metal band around the top of the pan.
Jamie

• Helena

Any ideas for the lid?

• Leu Wasasala

Remove the handle, add twine to match the pot. Find thinner twine & wrap/glue to the insude of the lid. You then have a matching tray for your storage pot. Could use it to store soaps, etc to go with your pot of towels :)

• Sandie Hawley

Paint the lid white, paint the knob orange, paint on some eyes, black dots for the mouth, add a scrap of flannel to the bottom part and tie to look like a scarf, make a beanie hat from the end of an arm from an old sweater to glue to the top part, add a hanger to the back and you have a snowman face to hang in your kitchen at Christmas!

• Helena

any ideas for the lid?

• Kimberley Hosmer

Macrame a holder for it and wrap it to match the "basket", turn it upside down and hang your new bird bath/ feeder. :-)

• Kimberley Hosmer

Or if you're handy with the drill, just drill 3-4 holes around the edges and knot the cord underneath.

• Helen Mays

if it was made into a plant pot the lid could become the drain tray

• Mary Mcdonald Cawley

I would make a mirror

• ColleenB.

For the lid; Make into a clock or remove the knob, secure onto a post and use as a bird / butterfly platform feeder
    • Rena Matthews

If knob big enough for hand towel make into towel holder & paint or decorate
    • Sherry

Wrap it with rope also, hang it on the wall and use as a towel holder. Could also put a bigger knob on it to use for a bigger towel.
    • Jjsunflower😎

Looks great.
    • Sandie Hawley

Paint the lid white, paint the knob orange, paint on two eyes, paint on a mouth and some rosy cheeks. Add a scrap of flannel for a scarf, make a matching hat to glue on top and make a snowman face!

• Kate

Love it. BUT what did you do with the handles? I will pay real money for them...
    • GoddessOdd

This is my question as well... the handles don't seem to look sewn on, I do see what appears to be a tiny bit of Jute above the candle in the last photo, but no idea how or what was done.
    • Trish Preedin

The jute handle are hot glued on.

• Kate

No I mean the old pot handles (black)...I've been looking for years to fix a handleless pot that I have...LOL
  • Leona E Falgout

Why didn’t you cover the metal handle with the rope
    • Linda Wilson-Smith

There is no handle on the pot. She made handles out of sisle.

• Sandi Reynolds

there handles on the pot BUT it would not look the same with those! this is soooo cute! farmhouse cute
    • Neva Dew

Hindsight is 20-20. It may have been easier to start with the loops for the handles, gluing them to the pot sides. Then as you covered the sides the sisal and glue would hold them in place and make them stronger, although I do realize they are meant to be more decorative than functional. Nice idea and reuse of the pot.
  • Sha

The hot glue adhered well to the metal? Thought it might not stick permanently.

• Dusty

I would not glue the rope to the metal. I would glue the rope to the rope.

• Suellen Hintz

Use a builder's adhesive such as liquid Nails to attach just bout anything to metal. There's more dry time but it's attached! I used Liquid Nails to attach silk flowers to a curtain rod nearly 15 years ago and they're still over th window in my guest bedroom.

• Sha

• Joanie

This inspired me......I got an old pan that bubbled up in the center of the bottom. I finally pitched in under a plant for drainage. Maybe, I will do this or paint it. Thank you!! Any ideas for the lid??????????

• Patty James

I would do the lid the same way but buy a really neat knob,maybe glue some shells to it...😊

• Joanie

Thank you Patty for tryin' to help me......

• Lov29357534

Are you aware that the "pot" you used from the thrift store is a Vintage, almost antique, Piece of WareEver cookware manufactured from about 1932 through about 1939? You have the lid to go with it too matching. Turn it upside down ans see the Manufactures seal on the bottom. The handles are also in tact. I have not looked at the Ebay price for those pieces for quite some time but I think your pot with the lid is probably even today coveted at around $40.00. They are getting hard to find. Your basket is really a lovely idea though. I still have my mother's whole set of cookware she bought about a year before I was born. Have a great day.

• Donna Douthit

That would be Wear-ever

• Toni Benintende Hamilton

I have an oval Wear-ever roaster that also has a lift out roaster rack. I’ve tried selling at garage sale, and FaceBook Marketplace with ZERO interest in it. Now I know I need to turn to eBay! Thank you. This is a real cute idea though. Perhaps I’ll head over to thrift store to pick one up that isn’t intact!

• Laurel Lolie Mccorquodale

I noticed that too.

• Karen Huber

M
    • Margie Davis Sharick

I still have a set of WearEver that I bought when I graduated high school in 1967!!! It went through a fire in 1986 and I contacted the company and they sent new handles!!! I’ve gone through a zillion other pan sets but this one just keeps on going!!

• The Snarky Princess

I love this! I have an old one that needs a new life and this just might be the life it was looking for. I can't wait to make it into this transformation Thanks for sharing

• For26941654

I love this! I know I have something I can use!

• Lov29357534

PLEASE don't get me wrong. I love what you did with this and that it didn't go to a trash bin. I am going to use your idea, just not a WearEver pot.

Most people who see these at garage sales have no idea what they are or the history. WearEver is like the "Bunny Batteries that keep on Ticking!" WearEver for their 75th Anniversary gave notice that anyone who shipped their "old" set of pots and pans to them for reconditioning, paying shiping and handling both ways, would get them back in "new condition". That meant body & fender work, polishing, new handles and Nobs. Can't think of another company to do that. Yes, out of a 90 year old's kitchen you might find some WearEver.

WearEver, Guardian, Wagner Ware, and a couple of others are all collectables, not worth as much now on Ebay as a few years ago but they are worth more than the re-cycler will give you for the Aluminum. Also folks who do not know what they are, are throwing them in the recycle bins or dumpsters. If you ever come across a Spring-Maid, Fantastic. That was a European treasure and not too many around due to housewives "giving" their pots and pans, especially in France, to be reformed into airplanes in the fight against Germany. They are darn near priceless.

Lovetra

• Joni M Herrera

Did you put any thing under the pot as not to scratch surfaces?

• Sheila Basham

what does it mean? Jute twine around the handles. I didn't see it.

• Renee

Wouldnt it look better to put the handles under the twine instead of on the outside?

• Kimberly McGuire

This is what I would of done also with the twine handles for extra strength and les coming unraveled

• Phyllis

It would look more finished, but as she said it was an after thought. I think it's a super great way to use a bunch of my late mom's pots I couldn't bear to pay with.

• Rebico

Yes it would

• La streight

I just threw out one of my moms old pot. A piece of double pot I've used for 30 years after she used it for 30 years. H.im.mmm.. I

• Jewellmartin

One woman’s trash ... ha ha! I need to find a use for my mom’s old pressure cooker. I’m too afraid to use it, it’s 65 years old with a good gasket, but most modern ones are so much lighter, programmable, and usually safer. I’ll experiment with rope on mine. ☺️

• Dorothy Tesnear

This is a great idea to reuse something that has served its purpose for a long time. I was thinking it would also be cute to use some pieces of an old skinny leather belt cut to a proper length and hot glued on the sides for handles. You could even put some metal tacks at the ends of the leather pieces to make it look like a brad going through the handles and the pot. Either way, it's a great project! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

• Linda

Jewell, that heavy pressure cooker is the best pan ever for making peanut brittle.

• Mky10075014

Don’t part with the pressure cooker pot. I still use my mother-in-law’s pot minus the gasket for an every day pot and lid. No gasket. She used it as her bean pot for years after she stopped using as a pressure cooker!

• Karla

This is a great use of an old pot; I'm not even that crafty and I'm sure I can do this. One thing I think I will change and that is the handles. The way they are put on here they are more " decorative" than " functional". If you make the handles one piece rather than cut two that are glued, one piece (still glued in place on sides) seems to me to be safer if it is lifted and the glue fails, you don't lose the balance. Do you think it would make it "wobble" to do it that way?

• Birdy Daniel

I would braid each handle and then unwind the open the ends and spread then out like a fan down to the bottom so they will lay as flat as possible, gluing them to the side of the pan. Then wind the sisal over them, gluing as I go, leaving the braided portion for holding.

• Dianne Nelson

You are putting items in so it doesn’t show?

• Lynn

One long handle going the length of the pot ? Wouldnt look as good and as a basket weaver i can tell you real woven baskets are not made that way. It would also look better to incorporate the handle into the weave so that it is not just glued to the outside...great idea to use an old pot.....

• Sherry

what did you do to the inside bottom of the pot? Anything?

• Mick

What happened to the original post handles?

• CJ

Hi Mick,

She said she removed the handles (the black heat resistant part) then hit the metal part that the handles were screwed to with a hammer to flatten them against the outside of the pan. I guess she simply wound the sisal rope over top of the flattened metal part of the handle. It seems to be well disguised! Such a cute basket!

• CapnChaos

If the holes are big enough, or you can make the holes bigger, what about poking the ends of "handle" rope thru and making a knot on the inside of the pan, making a loop handle? Knots on the inside, loops on the out. Does this make sense? :) :)

• Shirley

It would work, but those pot handle rivets would have left small holes. You could drill them out to be big enough for the rope. The edges would be sharp, though, so maybe using a metal file or a narrow layer of glue on those edges would prevent the new rope handles from fraying against them.

• Yvonne Gustafson

I love the idea but if it’s a bathroom that’s used a lot how did you keep from getting mold in the rope? Did you spray a protectant on it?

• Joyously Saundra

Hi, this is a great project for old pots. I have a small one with a handle that I'm going to use as a plant holder. Instead of sawing off the handle, I will glue Jute or some other rope material around the handle to add to the charm of the planter. Thanks for the idea! Now I know what to do with old fry pans as well!

• Manghi