DIY Window Treatment in an Hour

Hi guys~ This is one of my favorite projects and it was so much easier than I ever expected. I am in love with the chunky window casings or window trim that is all craze! Window trim instantly make windows bulk up and stand out as the main attraction on a wall or in a room! I started with the smallest window in our house. It's in our bathroom above the "appliance." This way if I screwed it up I didn't waste as much trim as if I had gone with a double wide window!
diy window treatment in an hour, how to, window treatments, windows
Here is a photo of the window before I painted the space. The leaves on the window were a privacy solution but the trees outside this window have reached a height making privacy a non-issue.
Before
Before
I found a few blog posts to get the basic idea for diy trim. I shared these at the end of the post. I also have a list of the wood I purchased. I have to say Home Depot staff were a great resource for me. First thing to do is measure the width and height of the top bottom and sides of the window. Measure the entire window from edge to edge. As with most windows no to sides measure the same. The rule measure twice, cut once is a rule for a reason!
After installing the side trim I added the header casing. I added a thin 1/4" board behind the header to create a shadow. This was a 2nd suggestion provided by my {first} husband.
After installing the header casing I added the 2x2 pine head piece. I added and inch on both sides to the header casing (from the side trims' edges and added an additional inch to each side of the head piece. This is where you will see variety online. I liked the stacked look with the head piece but if you want to keep it simple you can just use add the header. And, blow off the thin board and shadow. I like the look, but honestly it is not something I would have done if my {first} hubs had not suggested. Finally, the length of your casing and head pieces is personal preference.
Love the look! Seriously this took an hour to measure and make the cuts. It took longer to prime and paint!
For additional details and product list please visit :http://notatrophywife.com/2015/08/diy-window-trim-in-an-hour.html

Everyday Edits

1 comment
  • Lori

I'm with you in your thinking about size matters. :) I want to do this kind of thing to baseboards when getting the house ready to sell but no one seemed to think it matters, meaning my husband and a real estate agent. Trim is one of the things I notice first in a house. Good job on that window.