Holly Crutcher
Holly Crutcher
  • Levelland, TX
Asked on Feb 7, 2013

is there any way to change a laminate countertop with actually having to change it out???

ZWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comKMS Woodworks
+6

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

You can paint them. They make excellent paints for this. They also have kits that are specifically made to paint over laminate. You could also tile it with enough prep.

• 3po3

Here are a string of success stories of painting laminate countertops: http://www.hometalk.com/32878/has-anyone-had-any-success-painting-laminate-countertops-i-have-a-very-low-budget Also, I love the Robert Earl Keen song about Levelland, but I didn't even realize it was a real town.

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

haha @ ...funny thing is...it's only about 20 miles from me! Small world!

• Like the look of granite? There are companies like granite transformations that drop a fitted slab over your existing & some that sell 1'x1' overlay tiles of granite for this Personally I would stay away from all these options & the ones above unless that countertop is in perfect shape Don't forget if you go with any option besides paint you will need to raise you stove and reset your sink (probably should for painting to)

• The Robin's Nest

This link to a gardenweb posting should be enough inspiration (for you and anyone who sees this, you are going to want to do it) It should be enough to get your juices flowing and your paint brush out! Seriously!! I have also followed up with this lady several years after and her completed project has stood the test of time! I say GO FOR IT.....http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0712271927099.html

• Holly Crutcher

Thanks so much for all the info! Its actually going to be for a small area in the laundry room. just a small sink/countertop that is just ugly!!! lol (and thats IF we buy the house! always thinking ahead!) And yes Steve G, its a real place. Most Texas Country songs that sing about small towns are real. lol And Levelland is what it is. Fields as far as you can see and pump jacks. :]

• KMS Woodworks

I have also tiled over some...1/4 backer board is nailed in place and then the tile is installed over that.

• I would also stay away from Granite Transformations. The product is fine, the quality of the product depends upon the installing contractor. Also the cost is just about the same as the real thing. You can paint the top. If its a bath vanity top, most likely the top is what is called a post form type. This is the tops that have the rounded corners. While it can be covered with another layer of fiberglass, your going to pay way more in labor then what it would cost to simply replace the entire thing. So paint or purchase another top are really your only two inexpensive methods of fixing this the way you want it.

• Z

@Rhonda, I haven't visited the GW for so long I had no idea they finally updated the site. About time. Ha ha ha. Good old GW.