Asked on Aug 5, 2015

Chalk paint and spraying

SusanMaine Country HomeHeather Dahn Miller
+6

Has anyone used a paint sprayer with chalk paint? I am wondering if it will work, do I need to thin my paint so it works in a sprayer, will it cover like it does when I brush it on? I have not tried using my sprayer with it yet but....am thinking of trying it. Any input?
  • Debi53
    Debi53

Although I have not done it yet, I spoke with my sprayer manufacturer who said I could use it for chalk paint with a 1.5mm needle. Give your manufacturer a call just to be sure with your sprayer.

• Refreshrestyle D
    Refreshrestyle D

You can use a sprayer. You will need to thin according to the sprayer manufacturers recommendations. See my blog post here: http://refreshrestyle.com/spray-paint-dining-chairs/

• Renee Seeling
      Renee Seeling

@Refreshrestyle D Thank you so much!!! Going to go grab my sprayer and finally take it out of the box!! Your post was very helpful! :)

• Heather Dahn Miller
    Heather Dahn Miller

Yes! You most certainly can! I've done it with a set of chairs, you do however need to dilute the paint just a bit with water. It works great!

• Renee Seeling
      Renee Seeling

@Heather Dahn Miller Thanks. What is the coverage like using a sprayer? I take it that I should plan on more than one coat....

• Maine Country Home
    Maine Country Home

We've had excellent results with our old Wagner sprayer! We just add a little water, maybe 10% if that. It took me 5 minutes to spray one coat of Annie Sloan Old Ochre on a big desk, and I didn't need to do a second coat! It will look more modern than when you brush, by that I mean there will be no brush strokes. Just be mindful of drips. I'll carry a damp brush with me to smooth out any that crop up.

• Renee Seeling
      Renee Seeling

@Maine Country Home Thanks. Was wondering if spraying would cover in one coat or if I would need to go over it a few times. Thanks for the tip on drips....I usually have a rag handy for all my painting. I am kind of "messy" some times.

• Susan
    Susan

There is a YouTube video that shows how to do it. I didn't watch it all the way (don't have sprayer) but it says to just thin with water. Let us know how it goes. Susan