Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
  • Hot Springs National Park, AR

How To Organize Fabric in a File Cabinet

If you have a lot of smaller fabric pieces this system is a great way to organize and easily find what you want.
how to organize fabric in a file cabinet, how to, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas, reupholster
SUPPLIES
File cabinet that allows hanging files or an inexpensive hanging file frame to insert in the drawers. I used this set: http://amzn.to/1U3La6y
Hanging file folders
Small binder clips (optional but helpful to hold fabric in place)
I had an old metal file cabinet that I used from my purpose. It was not set up to hold hanging files but I just inserted a cheap frame to hold them. ($6.88 for a set of two on the link above under supplies.)
Fold and lay your fabric over the file folders. Folders can also be cut in half. (Lots more photos on my link at the bottom.)
*NEW I received suggestions to use small binder clips to hold the material in place. Works great!
This looks really nice and keeps your fabric organized and easy to see. However, if your drawer is too full it can be tricky to pull the files in and out as it tends to want to pull other fabric with it. So don't stuff them too full! Using binder clips as shown above can help a lot!
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Nikki

wonderful idea. i have file cabinets and hangers that needed a new purpose and the will definitely be it. thanks

• Betty L

I have two four-drawer filing cabinets that I've used for storing my fabric for years now. Mine store yardage rather than small pieces. First I wrap the fabric around comic book boards, then I file them in the hanging folders rather than hanging over them. 'Works great, even for pieces a few yards long!