Vintage Bed Sheet DIY Shower Curtain

$3

How to make a fun shower curtain from a pretty, clean, thrifted bed sheet!
Be sure to check out my full tutorial here for each and every step!
Since I knew I wanted a pretty, floral design, I hit up some local thrift shops and checked out their linens section. It's always a fantastic source of inexpensive fabric!
To make a shower curtain from a sheet, I chose a queen sized sheet (but a double/full would also work). I laid it out on the ground and placed our old shower curtain on top of it and trimmed it to match.
And then I hemmed it on my sewing machine.
To make my shower curtain hangable with the shower curtain rings I already had, I needed to add buttonholes across the top.
Last step-ironing my curtain and hanging it up! And I LOVE how fresh and bright it looks!!

Sadie Seasongoods

• Donna Shaw-Campbell

Does this leak water onto the floor? I thought shower curtains, had to have a special coat of something.

• Sadie Seasongoods

@Donna Shaw-Campbell I always hang a plastic liner behind it...that way, my fabric curtain always stays outside the tub and dry. :)

• Marianne

@Sadie Seasongoods yes, so do I.

• Rusty

Use a plastic curtain with you curtain

• Patty

You use a $ store liner. This is just for looks.

• Sophia,M.,McConnery

Lots of dollar stores sell the inside plastic sheet for the shower.This idea is only for the outside!

• Janet Backe

If you cannot sew button holes for some reason, you could add another rod. Then buy metal rings with clips on them or slit open wide top seam on the ends and put rod through. I can only really hand sew, like mending, so I try to find some way to skirt around button holes and zippers.

• Janet Backe

Sorry, I meant to what a great idea this is, because the pretty shower curtain my daughter bought only lasted a dew months. It was inexpensive and after a few warnings it started to fall apart. She actually paid quite a bit more for it than she would a sheet. Right now she just has plastic liner. I am going to bring this idea to her attention. Between the two of us we should be able to think of something. Thank you again for your many great ideas.

• Janet Backe

I hate spell check.

• Linda Holland

I USE THE CLOTH TYPE LINER FOR MY SHOWER CUTAIN. YOU CAN TROW IT IN WASHER AND COMES OUT CLEAN. PLUS NOT SO COLD IF IT CLINGS TO YOU,

• Vickie

I would use the plastic liner. It can be washed in your washer. Fill tub with WARM water a little soap and vinegar was wash on gentle. I have done this for years for my clear plastic liners. A sure way to keep the floor dry and your fancy curtain dry. A constant wet fabric curtain will tend to mildew. As far as hanging an appropriate size tension rod run thru either the top or bottom hem will work. I am for healthy living and the environment but common sense needs to be used. Black mold I do not want so I use a plastic liner. Only my thoughts on the subject. each to his own.

• A H

The nylon cloth liners are more washable, don't feel so cold when you touch them, and aren't unhealthy like plastic.

• Car6404086

The cloth bedsheet hangs out of the tub, the plastic liner stays in the tub. Both are on the same rings...

• Pamela Kinsey Ridley

Purchase the plastic liner at Walmart. They are only a couple dollars.

• Cyndi Murray Daily

Could you use grommets instead of button holes? Or would they get rusty?

• Christina Jones

This would also be a pretty idea for my daughter's closet in her room. Her closet doesn't have a door and we're in a renatal, so this would be a cheap but pretty alterniave.

• Kathy

Would it be possible to use a hole puncher on material? The liners that I buy look like that is what they used and my favorite hooks slide right in.

• Sadie Seasongoods

Hi, Kathy- I've never tried that on material. It might work, but you'd want to see the edges so that it didn't fray (I would think). That's when the idea of grommets would come in handy!!

• G B

Grommets can be found in sewing section and sometimes crafts.

• Marcy Quinto-Mower

Use Dritz Fray Check to prevent fraying on the holes.

• Tiffany

A hole puncher wouldn't be sharp enough I don't think. You could use something like fusible hem tape to iron some fabric over and then cut small holes. The fusible tape will seal the threads in the fabric.

• Dia10680820

You say you made button holes but the finished photo shows us grommets... which did you prefer and why

• Sadie Seasongoods

Hi, Diane- nope, those are my shower curtain rings....which slip through all the buttonholes I made. Here's a quick close up photo- thanks.

• Dixielbr

At first I thought they were grommets but looked closer and saw they were shower rings . Very pretty .

• Brenda

Why not use grommets?

• Marian Finkenstadt

You could, but they sure would make a lot of noise in the drier!

• Janet Reid

They would rust too.
    • Jan M

If you look closely, those are not grommets, they are shower curtain rings with a leaf on them.

• Anne Dyantha Ryans

Wouldn't a normal bed sheet get totally soaked when using the shower?

• Sadie Seasongoods

Hi, Anne- I use a plastic liner behind it. :)

• Jane Berk

When you shower, the plastic liner stays in the tub but the fabric stays outside the tub. Just like any decorative fabric shower curtain you might buy.

• Bassetthound

My shower curtain is fabric. As long as it doesn't extend beyond the tub (full drape or bagging over the edge) it works perfectly well. It's a lot easier to clean and keep mold and scum free.

• Sarah E Carroll

Surprisingly the water doesn't splash through the fabric. .I have 2 showers with 'sheet' curtains in use for 15 years . .I didn't even put rings on them. .I just used a spring loaded pole and made a hem to fit it. The length was hemmed to not drag, leaving enough for a short curtain for the bottom half of my bathroom window(or could be a valance)

, In my case the shower was 45 inches wide so a twin was plenty and the sheet was a garage sale find
    • Terri Williams

I have always used liner with my cloth shower curtains
    • Lynn Hummel

I use a plastic shower curtain with my pretty cloth shower curtain.
    • Diena Cameron

Yours is very cute Sarah E. Carroll with a great pattern on it. Did you say it's 15 years old ? Looks great for it's age, if so. 😁

• Pamela Kinsey Ridley

Your decorating shower curtain goes on the outside of the tub. Plastic shower liner goes inside. Can not see liner and everything looks great.

• Brenda Whitworth Eader

the curtains you find are they worth making curtains with?
  • Pat O'Toole

How did you get kitty off of your project?
  • Debra BENEDICT

Did you wash this sheet first coming from a thrift shop?

• Priscilla Hunt

Your tutorial said to make button holes at top for hanging but your final picture shows the curtain hanging by metal grommets ??????
    • Katherine Donnelly

Looks like the button holes have the books through them. Not sure, but that's what I think it is.
    • Sadie Seasongoods

Yes, Priscilla and Katherine- my shower curtain rings have a brushed silver leaf-shaped pattern on them.
    • Gayle

Priscilla Store bought shower curtains have button holes in them to put the shower curtain rings through.

• Linda Carol Capehart

Finished project shows grommets instead of buttonholes? I wanted to see how BH looked/ compare
    • Sadie Seasongoods

No Linda, those are my curtain rings- they have a brushed silver leaf shape on them.
    • Loren

I was going to say they look like the shower curtain ring you pull through but have design..lol

• Dea9107584

great idea...but the material not being plastic like a regular shower curtain, how will the curtain hold up to all the moisture? Will you have a constant, wet piece of material (mold)? But I do love all the options for using sheets for designs and patterns.
    • Ellen Stream

I don't think they are grommets. I think it is the shower curtain hook. And made to look like grommets. I like them and wonder where she got them at.

• Sadie Seasongoods

Deann, I always use a clear plastic liner with fabric shower curtains!
    • Vickie Preston

You can also use a washable nylon water replant liner. They last through hundreds of washings.

• Annette Miller

Instead of button holes you could also make tabs and put them over the tension rod to hold it up. Just another way to make it look pretty. Especially if you have to cut it to size you might have enough material to make all the tabs. Food for thought! Great idea thanks for sharing
  • Gale Guiler

Gee I did that back in the 80's Still have one of them