Patricia
Patricia
  • Lebanon, OH

Simple Fix to Save "Paint Gone Bad"

$2

Did you ever re-open a can of paint only to find an icky mess? That's what happened when I opened a leftover can of Louis Blue (ASCP). Boutique paint is expensive, so it's worth taking the time to save it.
how to fix to save paint gone bad, chalk paint, painted furniture, painting
The problem is easily avoided in the first place by simply cleaning the lid and rim thoroughly when done painting. I always do that. Except perhaps this one time. No worries though since it is easy to fix.
I secured a double layer of cheesecloth with a rubber-band to a new paint can. The empty paint can was a couple bucks from Home Depot. But I wonder if they carry them at the Dollar Store? I'll be sure to check the next time I'm there.
I let the paint strain through and the yucky parts were trapped in the cheesecloth.
Good as new!
Patricia

• Duane Fauntleroy

I think you made a big mistake sorry to say. The mold we see in the first photo is still in your solution and will grow in you wall... check in in a year and see... 2 years or more it may take depending...but you have to breathe that now... You'll need to seal with intense primer and repaint... ufff

• Patricia

Hi Duane, It was rust flakes from the edge of the can. Mold would be a problem for sure, but this was definitely NOT mold. I think the camera focused on the edge of the can and the contents inside (rust flakes) were blurred. However, if it was mold, you are correct that it wouldn't be worth it to save or safe to use. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• Deborah Gatewood

Yes, but want to make over front door by painting.