Patricia
Patricia
  • Lebanon, OH

Simple Fix to Save "Paint Gone Bad"

$2

Did you ever re-open a can of paint only to find an icky mess? That's what happened when I opened a leftover can of Louis Blue (ASCP). Boutique paint is expensive, so it's worth taking the time to save it.
how to fix to save paint gone bad, chalk paint, painted furniture, painting
The problem is easily avoided in the first place by simply cleaning the lid and rim thoroughly when done painting. I always do that. Except perhaps this one time. No worries though since it is easy to fix.
I secured a double layer of cheesecloth with a rubber-band to a new paint can. The empty paint can was a couple bucks from Home Depot. But I wonder if they carry them at the Dollar Store? I'll be sure to check the next time I'm there.
I let the paint strain through and the yucky parts were trapped in the cheesecloth.
Good as new!
Patricia

• Deborah Gatewood

Yes, but want to make over front door by painting.

• Tina Gulley

I strain my paint through a wire kitchen strainer over into a plastic container from the dollar store with a screw on lid. you can easily spray off the strainer to reuse with more paints.

• Patricia

That's a great idea to use a strainer along with dollar store containers Tina. I think I might need to get a strainer just dedicated to paint projects.