DIY Handwritten Recipe Towels

Because of the increasing prevalence of digital media in our lives, handwriting may not be as important in the future as it once was, but that does not mean it is without use. I am not even referring to the cognitive benefits that are gained when children write with their hands. I’m talking about the sentimental and historical losses we suffer when people stop writing things out by hand. With that idea in mind, I used some of my family’s handwritten recipes and turned them into decorative towels for my kitchen.
Turn handwritten recipes into sentimental, and useful, kitchen decor.
Be sure to reverse the image before you print it out!
Follow the directions for your brand of transfer paper.
In just minutes you have pretty personalized towels!
I think these would make a fantastic gift for a new wife, mother, or grandmother.

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Jessica Hill

• Susan Winhoven
    Susan Winhoven

Love this idea but I'm a novice with crafts. My question is what TRANSFER paper is used & where purchased? I really want this idea for daughter & d-in-law-help is VERY much appreciated!!! Susan W in Florida

• Penny Oshige
      Penny Oshige

Transfer paper is usually found in craft stores or fabric stores. It comes in a 8 1/2 by 11" package that fits into a computer. You can copy almost any image on to it. Then following the directions you can use it. I have copied big images of flowers and put them on pillows. The image may come out rather stiff.

• Cheryl Titsworth Cloud
    Cheryl Titsworth Cloud

How do you reverse the words?
  • Patty Estes
    Patty Estes

I assume the towel should be cotton, but should it be washed before doing the transfer??

• OhSally
    OhSally

Thanks Meem! Great suggestions!

• Sarah Kuhner
    Sarah Kuhner

Just got all ready to iron on the recipes my husband printed out and realized they were flipped into a mirror image. Whoops! Still have plenty of time to do it for Christmas. Love this idea!!