DIY Raised Planter With Trellis

I was at Home Depot a few weeks ago looking around the garden department for some new plants and I came across this gorgeous climbing plant with bright red flowers. I HAD to have it! I’ve been trying to add more color to our back yard and deck area. Because of our location in the foothills of Northern California, in the summer everything is brown and looks dead (except for our Oak trees, but even those
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Mandevilla plant
Mandevilla plant
At first I was just going to stick a plastic trellis in the ground and plant the vine at the base of the trellis. But after contemplating that for about two seconds, I decided I wanted to make something that looks a little nicer, so I decided to make a raised planter to put on my deck with a trellis attached for the vine! Brilliant, I know! 😉
First, I built the planter box portion of the planter. I cut the plywood to 21″ x 14″, this will be the bottom of the planter box. Next, I cut the 20 2×4 pieces to 11 3/8″ each, which will comprise the sides of the planter box. Then I cut the 2×2 boards so i had two that were 72″ long and two that were 36″ long, these will be the legs of the planter. Once I had those boards cut, I began assembling the planter box.
First, using wood glue and 2 1/2″ exterior wood screws, I attached the 11 3/8″ 2×4 boards around the base of the sheet of plywood I had cut (make sure to predrill the holes for the screws). I placed one screw at the base of each 2×4 to attach it to the plywood. I did the front side first, and then attached the 36″ 2×2 boards as the front legs by attaching them to the front 2x4s with 2 1/2″ wood screws.
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Building front of planter box
Building front of planter box.
Once the front boards and both front legs were attached, I attached the side 2x4s to the sides of the plywood sheet using wood glue and 2 1/2″ wood screws and then attached the back 2x4s.
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Planter box without back legs
Planter box without back legs
I then attached the 6′ 2×2 back legs using wood glue and 2.5″ wood screws.
Planter box with back legs attached.
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Planter box with back legs attached
Planter box with back legs attached.
Next, I cut a 2×4 to 30″ using my miter saw, this will be the top board of the trellis. Using an empty can of stain, I drew the pattern to cut out the curves at each end. Once the curves were drawn on each end, I used my jig saw to cut the curves.
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Curve cut into 2x4
Curve cut into 2x4
Attach the top trellis board to the top of the back legs of the planter using wood glue and 4″ wood screws (predrill first). Once the top trellis board is attached, cut the top trim pieces for the planter box.
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Add top trim pieces for planter box
Add top trim pieces for planter box.
I then cut the trim pieces to make the trellis. I cut 10 of the 1 1/8″ trim boards to 24″ in length each, and I cut 4 of the 3/4″ trim pieces to 35 1/2″ in length each.
First, I attached the 1 1/8″ trim boards horizontally to the back legs, spacing them about 3 1/4″ apart. I used wood glue and my Ryobi Airstrike nailer with 5/8″ finish nails to attach the pieces to the back of the back legs.
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Horizontal trellis trim pieces added
Horizontal trellis trim pieces added
Next, I added the 3/4″ trim pieces vertically, evenly spacing them across the back. Because these boards or so thin and lightweight, I only used wood glue to attach these (glued them to the horizontal trim pieces making up the trellis).
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Trellis complete
Trellis complete
Next, I cut and added the 1×3 trim pieces to the front and sides of the planter box. I then attached the 1×3 trim pieces using wood glue and 1 1/2″ wood screws.
diy raised planter with trellis, container gardening, flowers, gardening, Front trim pieces added
Front trim pieces added.
I then added a wood applique that I purchased at Hobby Lobby (called Artistic Appliques) to the front of the 2×4 at the top of the trellis. I used wood glue to attach the applique. I then used Minwax Ash stain to stain the entire planter (except for the inside of the planter box since that will be filled with dirt and plants).
While the stain was drying, I took three more wood appliques purchased from Hobby Lobby and painted them white using Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint. Once the stain and paint dried, I attached the appliques to the front of the planter with wood glue.
Once the glue dried behind the appliques, I coated the entire planter (including the inside of the planter box) with four coats of outdoor spar urethane. I used a spray can of urethane because it was much faster and easier to coat the trellis with a spray can than with a brush. Here is the completed planter with the Mandevilla planted in it:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 20, 2018 11:09 PM - More info
Pinspired to DIY

• Dianna Williamson

Super cute. Did you cut holes for drainage?

• Eroque022810

Hello, I recently purchased a raised cedar box as well,yet it brought no liner,can you tell me about it,is it the same as one would use to block out weeds yet allow water to drain down through it,I imagine so but hate to assume,thanks for any help.

• Lee Anne H.

You stated that the planter box is made of 2x4 lumber. Yet in the photos the boards appear to be 1x4. Is this an optical illusion? Please clarify. Thank you.

I really like your planter trellis!

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Lee Anne, the boards that are used to make the actual planter box are 2x4s, the trim pieces that are added are 1" boards since those don't need to be as sturdy.

• JoAnn Vigil

What ideas are there for left over aquarium gravel?

• Laura Brosz

Very Nice idea!!! I can use something like this...Thanks!

• Lauralee

!!!! Love it. Can't wait for the rain to stop in Michigan so I can make this. Thank you.