Asked on Aug 7, 2015

Has anyone used Rustoleum Countertop Paint?

KarenFaithJudy Gilland
+21

I'm one of those odd-bods who's not necessarily a fan of granite. ;-) Have you used Rustoleum's Countertop Paint? I like the look of one color countertops...something that resembles slate. If you've used this, what are your comments/remarks/etc? Thanks HT readers :-)
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/countertop-paint/
  • Carol Claremont
    Carol Claremont

I agree with you about the granite - would not have it in my house. I worked at Home Depot in appliances, kitchens and paint and did hear from a couple of people that were very pleased with the results of this product. Everyone says the same thing - the prep work really makes a difference in the outcome so follow directions. Hope this helps a little.

• CK
    CK

I was going to use it at our former house but couldn't figure out how to wait 3 days to use the counters! Hahah! If I decide to do this, I'll just have to figure out how to wait the recommended time ;-) Thanks for you input :-)

• S.gwin
    S.gwin

Used in on a bathroom counter. And was pleased. It lasted till I replaced the vanity 5years later.

• Sue P.
    Sue P.

We used it on a countertop in our basement where there was a small sink. My husband always had a lot of fishing stuff and tools on the countertop and we never noticed any chipping or peeling with this product. We no longer live in that house, so don't know how it looks now, but for the 6 years we were there, it looked fine.

• CK
    CK

Yikes! We too being in ND and it getting closer to colder weather and after reading your blog post......I think I'll pass ;-) Thanks for a very detailed post!

• Suzi willis
    Suzi willis

Yes, I used the Rustoleum Countertop Paint on my mid-70's ugly avocado counters. I watched the DVD that came with the kit (I used the beige) It took my husband and me two days and it is totally worth it!We did it a year ago and it has held up very well.

• Linda Jackson
    Linda Jackson

yes and it is durable and looks very good

• Pamela Goodman
    Pamela Goodman

It is wonderful. Used as directed on kitchen countertop over old laminate. That was a year ago and it still looks great. Best $20 I ever spent.

• Cathy Dallman
    Cathy Dallman

Did it for a bachelor friend of mine. Turned out great, but he would occasionally use the countertop as a cutting board. The next time I do it, I will put several coats of poly on it.

• Linda
    Linda

I did but i wanted the counter tops to look like wood so i went over it with black and used a graining tool they look great everyone says they look like wood and i get compliments all the time

• CK
    CK

I think I may have to keep this in mind :-) Maybe the key is to make sure it's done in spring/summer or fall when windows can be open.....and then make sure to have take out food for 3 days so as not to use the countertops :-)

• Bobbie P
    Bobbie P

Yes I redid my bathroom and use this it works as stated. It does have a strong order so air flow is a must.

• Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells

I wrote"Rustoleum Countertop Paint" in the search box above. There are several projects with Rustoleum Countertop Paint that can give you an idea of how it's done and how they last. Good luck.

• Deb Carney Blecha
    Deb Carney Blecha

It is beyond critical to have ventilation.. I have an oil based perfume, it eats right through the finish. But beyond that it has lasted over a year. I am going to try a touch up.

• JuliaGulia
    JuliaGulia

Love love it!! I used it on my rental countertops over formica butcher block almost 3 yrs ago..still looks great. Just lightly hand sanded it and start painting. Not much smell...my niece also did her countertops and it sold her house. I paint everything with Rustoleum..even my pontoon! Looks great!

• JuliaGulia
    JuliaGulia

Yes I painted my countertops about 5 yrs ago and it's AWESOME!! I painted over faux butcher block formica stuff..just lightly hand sand..wipe down..paint..it seriously takes may half an hour..soooo easy!!

• CK
      CK

Did the smell bother you? They say this stuff is really stinky?

• Judy Gilland
    Judy Gilland

I did my bathroom 2 yrs ago and love it ! Sponge blended diff colors over it and a couple of coats of polyurethane. 😃👍🏼
    Windows open and a fan on to speed drying time Helps. Kitchen counters next
  • Faith
    Faith

Can I do a marble look on my countertops with rust-oleum paint.

• Karen
    Karen

Can you use it on a plywood countertop?