Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Asked on Feb 8, 2013

Finishing a chalk painted piece

SherrieMary InsanaThe Robin's Nest
+5

I'm new to chalk painting and want to know do you have to do a wax finish or can I do a poly finish in a flat or semi gloss finish? I can't find Annie Sloan wax locally and I really don't want to invest in a large can of it just yet. Can I use another type of wax?
  • Local home improvement stores or hardware stores carry several other brands of furniture wax that you can also use. Yes you can use a poly top coat over the ASCP. If you are looking for that 'aged' look you will need both clear and dark wax. Annie Sloan has lots of great tutorials on YouTube that might be helpful for you. Have fun and post pics so we can celebrate your finished product with you!

• Mary Insana

I checked at Lowes and they have the natural colored wax but I wanted to get dark wax too. I may look at Home Depot tomorrow.

• Z

Just a though....but I know in the past friends have used shoe polish, the kind in the round tins, in brown or black on painted furniture. You might want to try this on a scrap piece of wood that you've painted with the chalk paint to see if it works the way you want it to before you use it on you piece of furniture.

• Mary Insana

Good idea Becky, I would have never thought of that.

• Sherrie

You can also buy beeswax and color pigment. Melt the bee's wax and add pigment. Pigment last long then adding paint. But either should work. This is what I do for furniture waxing. A professional art store that sales pigment. And the natural food store sales Bee's wax. This is how they use to make furniture wax. : ). It's cheaper and you can make any kind you want.

• The Robin's Nest

Depending on the look you want, and if you are just simply wanting to "seal" the finish and give it a protective coating, there are many viable options. MInwax has several kinds of wax, clear, colored, paste wax etc. Briwax not sure if all box stores carry it but can be ordered online, also in various colors and clear. I have successfully used tung oil over my milk painted furniture, which is much like the chalkpaint. you can also buy tinted glazes or antiqueing, faux, crackle, mediums that you can tint yourself with paint from HD or Lowes if you are wanting the antiquing effect, it doesn't have to be an ASCP product to work :)

• Mary Insana

Robins Nest, I did see tung oil at the bog box store and I wans't sure if it would accomlish the same results.I don't want an antiqued"dark" finish. I just want to seal the finished piece. I have ventured into a new area painting with homemade chalk paint. I'm usually the one cutting wood to build something, changing toilets, replacing bathroom vanities, painting the walls in the house and other home imporvement things

• Sherrie

melt beeswax it makes it soft. Or go to Lowe's they sale mini wax that is soft.