Terry S
Terry S
  • Perry, IA
Asked on Feb 8, 2013

cleaning a wood stove

Shelly FullerDiana DeileyNancy Ellis
+6

can anyone tell me how to clean rust off of a wood stove?
  • If your talking about the exterior of the stove, then you need to use a wire brush. If the rush is a bit more on the heavy side, you can get wire brushes that can be mounted on a drill to make the job a bit easier. Just be sure you use eye protection as the wires come off the wheel quite fast.

• Terry S

it is on the outside , will it clean off? or will i need to paint ?

• KMS Woodworks

Our little wood stove at our cabin had some surface rust, When we bought it used from some guy who had it stiiting out in his yard. I wired brushed it and then gave it a new coat of flat black "stove paint" The stove paint will smell a bit after a few firings but eventually "burns off". You can get stove paint at fireplace stores

q cleaning a wood stove, appliances, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, how to, Our Scandia 150 wood stove at the cabin
  • Terry S

thank you, i would really like to get rid of it because of the hazards but i think i am getting outvoted:(. , if we are going to keep it it, needs some work (paint is a great idea , wasnt aware that that could be done.

• Terra Gazelle

Go over it with Navel Jelly..its what the navy uses to get rust off their ships. I have wrought Iron around my porch and living in Louisiana they rust rather badly. I use Navel Jelly, let it sit and wash it off..some of the thicher stuff needs a little scraping. But its easy to clean. Then use a stove paint for high temps. They now come in beautiful colors. I get the Navel jelly from Lowes.

• Shellee Janze

COCO COLA SOAK AND LEAVE OVERNIGHT

• Nancy Ellis

WD-40

• Diana Deiley

I agree with Nancy.......WD-40 but my husband says Navel Jelly.

• Shelly Fuller

we had a wood stove, you use a wire brush to get off most of the rust , then at most stores that sell wood stoves they will have a black wood stove polish you paint that on with a brush and it looks good as new