Cathleen
Cathleen
  • Sudbury, MA

DIY: Repurposed Wooden Boxes

When you are known for repurposing old stuff like I am, friends and neighbors become your salvage allies. Nothing like an "emergency call" to rescue discarded goods from a garage, basement or estate sale.
Found some old, dinged-up, grimy, dusty handmade wooden boxes.  They held hardware in someone's basement for decades ---until I came along and changed their purpose in life :)
Found some old, dinged-up, grimy, dusty handmade wooden boxes. They held hardware in someone's basement for decades ---until I came along and changed their purpose in life :)
Turquoise bar/handle (original color!) was  salvaged from a vintage deck chair and was simply meant to be reincarnated here.
Turquoise bar/handle (original color!) was salvaged from a vintage deck chair and was simply meant to be reincarnated here.
Shutter slats: cleaned, trimmed, some were painted, sanded, glued and nailed. (dabs of glue used only as a temporary hold)
First appearance, a little tame. Still needed some zip.
A pair of vintage zesters were turned inside out to make handles that wouldn't grate one's palm. The trick was how to attach them.
More slats and scrap wood (some with original paint) dress it up.
Vertical design application was easier than horizontal.
This box was designed to hang on the wall. Note cup hooks on bottom.
Recognize these parts?
Recognize these parts?
This one was designed to hang vertically on the wall ---it has holes drilled in the back/bottom.
I have this thing for hooks ... practical and versatile. But
that's another post.
I have this thing for hooks ... practical and versatile. But that's another post.
Cathleen