At The Picket Fence
At The Picket Fence
  • Florence, KY

Save on Space by Turning a Bookcase Into a Desk! Here's How!

$40

A couple of years ago we decided our son was in need of a desk in his room but we were a bit short on space. So I took his existing bookcase and converted it to a desk while still keeping the shelves available for books and other storage. It was so easy to do! ~Vanessa
Bookcase Before: The shelf you see stayed in place so that the wood for the desk piece could be attached.
What started out as a basic bookcase is transformed into a functional desk.
I attached small square pieces of wood to the underside of the "desk" and then used spindles as the legs.
My son absolutely loved his new desk and a plain second-hand chair was given a new look with a coat of red paint.
I then had a piece of plexi-glass cut to size to go over the top so that my son could put photos and postcards underneath and also protect the surface.
Visit the link below for the full tutorial and instructions for making this desk.
At The Picket Fence

• Amarillolesa

Painting the bookcase

• Amarillolesa

Sorry I haven't asked a question on here before now, did you have to use any special paint or techniques to paint the bookcase? It looks like one I have but mine isn't "real" wood its that compressed wood. Since I would use it for my laptop I wouldn't need to make the shelf as deep but I still want the legs, it should still be as cute don't you think?