IKEA Hack: Turn A Tarva Dresser Into An Apothecary-Style TV Cabinet

$200
1 Day

We're stationed in Germany and finding American style furniture at a reasonable price is not an easy thing to do. We decided to buy an inexpensive Tarva IKEA dresser for 149 and repurpose it into a TV cabinet.
ikea hack television apothecary cabinet, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
We built up the dresser using furring strips and 1x2's. I painted the base with a mixture of Annie Sloan's Duck Egg Blue and Old White. After distressing, I used an espresso stain in some areas and then waxed. We added caster wheels to the bottom.
IKEA Tarva Dresser. We kept the top two drawers and then combined the bottom two drawers to make doors and installed shelves so that we could store the dvd player, printer and other media equipment.
We bulked up the base and the top using inexpensive wood.
I cut thin squares and nailed and glued to drawer fronts to mimic apothecary drawers.
I painted the fronts before attaching.
We added a solid wood top and stain it an espresso color.
I ordered library pulls for $0.60 each from D. Lawless Hardware. Great price and they offer a military discount! Win, Win!
Blume Simply

• Tam28485176

What size are the squares that you glued to the drawer fronts?
    • Blume Simply

Yes, Nick is exactly right. I'm no mathematician, so I did just as he suggested, although no squinting ;-. I measured the drawer front and divided by equal numbers until I could no longer divide evenly and then took the remained and divided that equally so I could get my space width between the squares. My husband would have done it more professionally with an equation but.... then I took paper and cut squares that size and placed them on the drawer front, trimming the paper down again and again until I got what looked right for my piece. If you are using a Tarva dresser then I had these squares cut 15.5cm x15.5cm.

• Bea

What a gorgeous piece of furniture. I simply love it! I have a question about the last drawers that you mentioned you made it as a door. Can you explain or send a foto how you did it? Thanks!!!