Kim hoffman
Kim hoffman
  • Etters, PA
Asked on Feb 9, 2013

I would like to paint my kitchen chairs black. Do I need to sand them or just use a primer to cover the urethene wood?

Jan Keel-BradleyThe Robin's NestCC
+3

I would like to paint my brown kitchen chairs black. Do I need to sand them to roughthem up or just use a paint with a primer in it?
  • IMO, you definitely need to clean them with something like TSP (its in the painting area of most places) & lightly sanding them rarely is a bad idea - just don't forget to get the dust off with a tack cloth. As for paint choices, I will have to leave that to someone else

• Taunnie

I agree with SLS Construction. But...if you want a chippy, rustic look you can clean the chairs and then paint them with a chalk paint. Finish the chalk paint with a couple coats of soft or paste wax.

• Jeanette S

Thanks for the comments...I want to paint some dining chairs just as soon as I figure out what color! SLS, thanks for the tips...I added them to my "DON'T FORGET" folder I set up this AM!

• CC

You can also use milk paint, no sanding or priming needed. If you don't want the chipping add a bonding agent.

• The Robin's Nest

I just painted a china cabinet and a table and chairs for my shop in pitch black milk paint, (I added the bonding agent, since these will get lots of hands on wear and tear). I finished it with tung oil. I did not sand or prime. Milk Paint (and/or chalkpaint) is a very easy paint to use. Of course, if you don't have access to MP or CP, then regular latex paint would work fine. In this case, I'd clean them, and then use a primer (I like Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3, be sure to get the one that says no sanding required, Home Dep. or Lowes even Walmart usually carry it.

i would like to paint my kitchen chairs black do i need to sand them or just use a, painted furniturei would like to paint my kitchen chairs black do i need to sand them or just use a, painted furniture
  • Jan Keel-Bradley

Check out: http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/ This product is awesome! Simple to use and includes everything you need to get the job done. I've used it several times with great success each time. Go for it!

i would like to paint my kitchen chairs black do i need to sand them or just use a, painted furniture, These cabinets were RED I did NO sanding These were done 2 years ago and still look great Usingi would like to paint my kitchen chairs black do i need to sand them or just use a, painted furniture, I added a very faint stencil on the upper cabinet door fronts