Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn
  • Monroe, NY

Fixed up an Art Deco Vanity in Terrible Shape

I wanted an Art Deco vanity for my bedroom but I couldn't find one in good shape under 300 dollars or already painted
art deco vanity makeover, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
I picked this up, in pretty rough shape, from a women for 60 bucks
On my way home I found this vanity stool sitting out for garbage at my neighbors house, I swept that right up!!!
I sanded most of the cheap veneer with a palm sander and filled in a ton of cracks, chips and holes with wood putty
The drawers were full of mildew so I scrubbed them with a magic eraser
The brass on the original hardware was dull and again, mildew. I used brasso and soaked them for about 10 minutes. Be careful with brasso, it's VERY potent on the eyes. I then scrubbed them with a bristle dish brush to get them sparkly clean!
I used an oops paint I found at the store a while back, I'm just obsessed with this color white!! It's a flat paint so being that this is a vanity I sprayed the piece with rustoleum clear satin coat to ward against damage.
Got the piece upstairs and screwed on the mirror.
I ordered a bunch of different orange and white fabric on eBay, stapled them inside the drawers and painted the entire inside and outside of the drawers, I have left insides of cabinets and drawers the original color in the past and personally I don't like it. I'm just lazy sometimes or don't have time!
I did the same thing with the garbaged vanity stool, painted the legs, cleaned and covered the seat with one of the fabrics from eBay and voila! A beautiful vanity for my bedroom. I truly love doing my hair and makeup at this vanity
Before and after
Before and after

• Donna Woodard

The hardware looks great. This is really lovely

• Grainne

I love this, you did a great job. I love redoing old vanities. I'm working on one at the moment. A previous owner had cut her legs off, I have no idea why. Trying to figure a way to add legs again has been challenging, but I am loving seeing her come together. I absolutely love Hometalk, wonderful to see and hear how other people work out problems etc, amazing amount of really talented people out there.