Vertical Behind the Cabinet Door Cutting Board Holder

45
We're doing a DIY kitchen renovation (agonizingly slowly, but we're doing it!). We're using Cabinets to Go cabinets, and had to doctor a fridge cabinet to create a cabinet for the double ovens. That meant I had some scraps of cabinet wood left over, and that gave me a great idea for a vertical cutting board holder.
I'd seen something similar that you can purchase, but it came with cutting boards. I already have cutting boards. And I also had wood scraps, a few screws, and some L brackets.
Ah, our messy, mid-renovation kitchen. We've done two of the three phases so far, and the only thing left to replace is the blue kitchen island. I'll miss the pop of color when it's gone, honestly, but I'm still crazy excited to get it done!
I'm sure there are more elegant solutions than an L bracket to attach the cutting board holder to the inside of a cabinet door, but these were in the garage already, and they were easy. And I'm the only one who will see the inside of my cabinets, anyway. Just be sure you use SHORT screws that won't go all the way through your pretty cabinet doors.
I did this project three years ago, and it still makes me happy every time I open up my cabinet to get a cutting board out!
Nikki Wills

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 10 questions
  • DIY DIY on May 28, 2020

Why not put the L brackets on the other side so they are hidden by the cutting boards?

• Pat Pat on Feb 01, 2021

The instructions for this are basically non-existent in this posting. Is it possible, please, to get step-by-step instructions with photos?

• Mavis Mavis on Mar 10, 2021

Clearer instructions as to the materials used would be helpful.

I was asked what was used for the bottom of this to hold the boards or baking pans in place? I could not answer this question.

Comments

3 of 69 comments
  • Caroleculver2016 Caroleculver2016 on Nov 20, 2019
    Great idea. I plan to do this with my cookie sheets. Hope they fit. Thanks
  • Bryankeythsokol Bryankeythsokol on Jan 31, 2021

I can see a lip on the bottom would be necessary. I'm sure as rough as I am with opening and closing doors, I would shake the cutting boards enough that their bottom edge would slide forward and out, off the bottom.

But a simple solution, the one I'll probably end up using. Wanted to use the tension rod method to store vertically inside the cabinet, but those have become difficult to find lately.

• Nikki Wills Nikki Wills on Jan 31, 2021

A lip would definitely provide extra security, but I'm happy to report that even without it, I almost never had an issue in the years we owned this house and used it!

Next