Use Your Fabric Scraps for a Cute Braided Fabric Sign!

$7.00

As part of a monthly challenge that some blogger friends and I participate in, I had to use fabric to create a project. I chose to use some tie-dyed fabric scraps to create a unique piece of art for a gallery wall I'm working on!
how to use fabric scraps for a cute braided fabric sign, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
I had my kids tie dye the fabric for me after they'd made some t-shirts for themselves. It was a good decision to use grunt labor for that part of the project. Tie-dye is MESSY! Then I cut the fabric into lots of long strips!
I grabbed three strips, knotted one end, and started braiding. I added other strips by knotting them onto the ends of the braid as it got longer.
I spray painted a plain, wood sign, and after it dried, I lightly wrote the word "love" on the sign. Then I started gluing my braided fabric to the sign.
Once I got to the end of the word, I had a little too much braid left over. So I cut the end off and tied a new knot. It worked out perfectly!
After the glue dried, the sign was ready to go! Easy and SUPER cute!
If you're interested in more details, including a good tip for holding the fabric braid down as you glue it to the sign, please visit my blog at the link below! You'll also find links to eight other awesome fabric projects that you're sure to love!

Bre @ Average But Inspired

• Sherri Hudson

Just saw your post on HomeTalk. How big was the wood sign you used, and how long were the strips you made? How long a braid did you end up using?? I'm thinking of trying it for my granddaughter name for her room....

• Shawna Bailey

It looks like she used a tray instead of an actual sign. how creative

• Trk9045177

Love this!

• Cyndi Neumann

I adore this project! I will have to make one too. I already have torn fabric strips to use . Thanks for this project idea! Lovely Tutorial! Smiles, Cyndi