Phil Bauman
Phil Bauman
  • Louisburg, NC

Mulch piles doing all the work for me.

I continue your read all your posts about gardening with wood chips. I am grateful to have such a wealth of knowledge and experience, shared on HomeTalk. I have plenty of room and time to let the woodchips turn themselves into composted mulch. I am going to pick a spot this spring, were I have hard clay soil and weeds, and cover it with 8 inches of wood chips. Then I will leave for 1 year, and monitor and
Apollo ensuring everything meets with his approval
the piles are begining to add up.
the piles are begining to add up.
AFTER 20 LOADS IN MY PICK UP, I HAVE BARELY MADE A DENT IN THE PILE.
mulch piles during all the work for me, gardening, go green
1 ONE 2 BEDS WITH ABOUT 200 BUBS IN THIS ONE, ABOUT 400 IN THE OTHER.
I REMOVED THE EARTHEN SANDSTONE AND CLAY DOW 6 INCH REPALCED IT WITH SAND, PEAT MOSS, AND RECYCLED WOOD CHIPS 2 YEARS OLD.
I ALSO HAVE 4 ROSEMARY BUSHES 2 NEW AND TWO ESTABLISHED ONES, THE CLOSEST ONE IN THIS PIC, IS DYING SLOWLY, GETTING ABOUT 4 INCHES SHORT EACH YEAR, DOWN FROM 4-5 FEET TO ABOUT 20 INCHES.

• Louann Crum

I moved into a new house last spring and found a huge pile of what we assumed was leaves and pine straw someone had left after raking. A few weeks ago while burning a pile of fallen limbs we thought, hey...lets burn some of the leaves and stuff pile. WELL...lo and behold....it was pile of composted wooden chips. I was so excited!! So far have used in my new flower beds and garden boxes!!! What a great find it was!

• Phil Bauman

@Louann Crum I am happy for your find. I am going to being usingthe wood chips for the first time. The Cuttings have had 1 year to sit andcompost. I plan to use them to add to my 6 inches or so already in my butterflygarden, as mulch a around my trees and shrubs, and I going to use the bottom ofthe piles to plant veggies, and see if I am able to have some success with thistechnique. Again, Awesome Find

• Phil Bauman

After a fairly long hiatus, I am able tobegin doing some landscaping and gardening. I am looking forward, to gettinginto some dirt, and wood chips. I havepruned, back my blueberries, blackberries, and most of my butterfly bushes. Witha very unusual winter in NC, it was tough not knowing if I was pruning at theright time or not. We had Shrubs andtrees begin to bloom in January this year.