Asked on Aug 13, 2015

Leak in roof of my aluminum screenhouse

JustMeBarbaraBarbara C
+8

I can't find the leak in the roof of my aluminum screen room. The screen room is attached to the side of my garage. It has aluminum slats on the flat roof. I tried to seal the area where I think the rain is coming from but this didn't work. How do I find the leak so that I can repair it. Also, what should I repair it with?
  • Lee
    Lee

best bet is to have someone run the garden hose on the roof, start above where you think the problem is, and someone underneath looking for where the water is stating to run in,. Don't slump on the running time, may take a while to build up, Good Luck some leaks are very hard to find, this can give your a running-start to find the spot….

• FRED LEONARD
    FRED LEONARD

I used a product called Kool Seal to paint the roof. Not only stopped leaks, but the room is now cooler because the product also insulates.

• DORLIS
    DORLIS

we had a sun room built and it leaks in a heavy rain. Found that the gutter on the house roof over fills in a heavy rain and the water runs under the roof and into the sun room. Original builder says not his problem. We are still trying to figure how to fix it.

• Karen V
    Karen V

You need to find the source of leak for sure! Water can start coming in one place and out another.... far away from the entry point! Experienced with his issue once :(

• Barbara
    Barbara

I had leaks in my screen room too. My son picked up a sealer tape from Home Depot and covered every seam and gutter edge. It's about 6" wide and covers 50 feet. You peel off the back paper and press it on. Awesome now, no leaks. The heat of the sun makes it stick more.

• DORLIS
      DORLIS

@Barbara How did he apply it? The roof of the sunroom won't support weight and we would have to be on the house roof leaning over to apply it. I cannot do this and would have to ask a neighbor to do it for me.

• Duv310660
    Duv310660

Try poncing or otherwise applying the easily-cleanable powder of your choice, like ajax, talc, etc. on the inside of your room, starting from the leak site and moving 'uphill' as far as you can go. When it rains, the inside leak source will make a track down to the leak site that you're seeing. Where the water enters from the outside will either be there, or 'uphill' from there. I've used this on long stretches of water pipe; hopefully it will be of use to you.

• Barbara C
    Barbara C

Water runs downhill and could be coming from attached garage .Duval is right.Check as far as you can uphill.I recently had a leak in my house,but the entry point was nowhere near where water ran in.

• Barbara
    Barbara

You can walk on mine, it is partially attached to the house so there is some support. This stuff is great, he just rolled it out a little at a time and pressed it on the best he could. The warm sun did the rest.

• JustMe
    JustMe

Can't help you figure out how to find the leak, but try using silicone caulk (available at Home Depot) to patch up any holes. It's a quick easy fix.