Holly Prim
Holly Prim
  • Birmingham, AL

DIY Beverage Tray

$10.00

My DIY Beverage Tray can be made with pretty much any materials you have on hand.
diy beverage tray, crafts, how to, woodworking projects
Here is what I used:
~Scrap of beadboard
~Decorative trim
~Misc paint and glaze
~Adhesive or wood glue
Step 1: Cut beadboard to desired size
I used a jigsaw. You can use a circular saw or a table saw what ever you're most comfortable with.
I marked a line where I want to cut then measured 1 1/2" in to allow for the width of the jigsaw foot. I clamped a straight piece of wood on top of the beadboard to help me cut in a nice straight line.
Turn the beadboard and clamped to the table again and just used the line in the beadboard as a guide.
Step 2: Cut your trim pieces.
I cut the drip molding for the perimeter with my miter saw.
I found the easiest way to have tight miter cuts is to measure for every length and mark with a pencil. I lay the trim down and mark where the edge of the beadboard is on the trim.
That mark indicates where to start the 45 degree inside angle cut.
Do that for all four sides, one at a time. You can measure with a measuring tape, but you'll have to mark it with a pencil anyway so I would forgo the measuring tape for a project like this.
Step 3: Affix the trim.
I used Liquid Nails, but you can use wood glue it just takes a little bit longer to dry before you can paint. I actually added caulk to the mitered corner seams but that really isn't necessary.
Step 4: Paint
This quart of blue paint was reduced to $2.00 at Home Depot, I also found a reduced sample of brown paint, it was only .50!
I painted the entire tray with two coats of the blue.
Once it was dry, I mixed a small amount of the brown to a very small amount of Martha Stewart Glaze then washed it all over the tray with a foam brush, you could use a rag as well. I let it sit for about 4 minutes then rubbed most of it off with a cloth.
Some spots needed a little more brown so I added more here and there. Once dry I added a clear coat of latex gloss.
This was a very quick, easy and most importantly very inexpensive!
To see how I updated our sunporch on the cheap check out this post: http://www.hometalk.com/9157083/screened-in-porch-ideas-for-summer
Holly Prim

• Rances Lynn

like the tray, you did a great job, but love the painted furniture

• Holly Prim

@Rances Lynn So Sweet, thank you!! All of that done on the cheap! Wicker Table: Salvation Army $10.00 + can of brown spray paint. Round Table was a 13 year old end table collecting dust in my sons room :-)

• Karen | Decor Hint

This is such a great idea!!