Mint Wonderful Mint: How To Care For & Plant This Fragrant Herb - See

By Nell @JoyUsgarden
I love pretty much any herb. I do a lot of cooking and have a raised bed of herbs in the back yard that I can pick from all year long whenever my little heart desires. Of all the herbs, mint is my very favorite. I use it almost every day to add to a pitcher of water with sliced lemons for that added pop of flavor.
My mint doesn’t share growing grounds with the other herbs. It’s planted in a terra cotta container otherwise it would take over raised bed as well as part of the garden. That’s how mint grows – vigorously without regards for any of the space around it. If you’re new to the world of planting mint and don’t want a total takeover, here are 2 words: contain it.
Here I am removing the old mint from the pot. You can see how those underground stems have wrapped themselves around in a circle. In my experience, it grows fast but not very deep.
My mints, thai basil and some type of spearmint, had been planted in that pot for 4 or 5 years. I had rejuvenated them twice by cutting them back and replanting a small portion but I decided enough was enough. The unknown spearmint had completely crowded out the thai basil mint. The planting was in the beginning stages of mint rust so time to take action. I hoped to salvage some of the leaves but ended up throwing away both the foliage and roots (I’m an avid composter but always avoid anything with a disease or pests).
All about mint & how I planted my new Cuban & Syrian Mints:
It looks a little bare right now, but just you wait. That pot will be full of mint in no time!
Here’s what mint likes:
Light: Sun to part sun.
Water: Average. Mint is not drought tolerant.
Fertilizer: A 2″ application of organic compost or worm castings in the spring is all it needs.
Soil: Well drained with amendments (see above) added in.
USDA Zone: 3-11 depending on the variety of mint. Some mints are more cold tolerant, some are more heat tolerant.
Propagation: Mint easily roots in water or can be grown from seed.
Diseases & Pests: Mint doesn’t like these (duh, obviously) but yours may or may not get: rust, wilt or anthracnose. Also spider mites, aphids or cutworms.
There are SO many varieties of mint it makes my head spin. How in the world is a girl supposed to choose just 1 spearmint?! Regardless of all the choices, this is a plant with purpose. It’s found in the culinary, medicinal, cosmetic and fragrance industries as well as in homes everywhere. I know 1 thing for sure: I’ll always have it in my garden. In a pot that is!
Happy Gardening!
Nell
Follow Nell at JoyUsgarden.com
Joy Us garden

• Allinthefamilysingers

I have a pot of mint is all I got to save from a move last year. It is taking off tho We moved to a creek bank and I read mint will keep snakes away so I am doing an edge along the whole creek bank. Do u think it works they have that spray now with mint to keep rats and critters away inside the house But I do not know anyone that has tried it. Does anyone know??? thanks dhall
  • KG

I spray peppermint to keep ants away. It has worked well. I think it's also kept spiders away too;) Use a spray with real essential peppermint oil or buy a small bottle of essential oil and put on cotton to wipe around baseboards or leave (cotton balls/pads) around areas where ants come into your home.