DIY Fragrant Firestarters

Do you remember how you learned to make a fire as a child? I remember in girl scouts how to gather wood and build a really nice campfire. One of the keys was to start with kindling and build upon it, with larger sticks, followed by nice sized logs.
I haven’t made a campfire in a long time, but we do have a wood burning fireplace in our home, and my husband made a nice firepit outside, with some recycled bricks. So when I’m trimming the garden I often gather bunches together to use as kindling.
If you’re like me you probably have lots of rogue plants that need pruning or maybe you’ve planted mint that’s trying to take over. These are good candidates for fire starters. And though many types of plant material work well but I especially enjoy those whose foliage is fragrant like mint, lavender and sage.
All you need to do is gather the trimmings and tie them together with some twine. I like to wrap the twine up the bunch and back down, and tied at the bottom, to keep the place material in a nice bundle. You can make them as thick as you want.

Patti @Hearth and Vine

• Debbie

Just wanted to suggestion I used to make candles. I would take pinecones and dip in scented white or colored wax. Throw in the fire while burning gives a nice smell to the camp fire. Thank you

• Christine Lux

Check to make sure that nothing you have will be toxic if burnt or that you or your family are allergic to. Especially watch out for poison ivy!

• Patti @Hearth and Vine

Good point on allergies. Many people are allergic to chamomile as it is in the same family ragweed. Regarding poison ivy, of course that would be awful. Poison ivy is a vine and hopefully people know that is not something they were growing.