Economom
Economom
  • Bessemer, AL

Stained glass mosaic patio table

I salvaged an old children's table that was put out in my neighbor's trash for use in our screened-in porch. The legs were wobbly, and a corner had been chewed on, but molding applied around the edges hid that, and my husband reinforced the legs for me.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, This is the finished table that I made for my screened in porch
After painting with an exterior latex, I drew a rough pattern using dinner plates and a cup. Each flower was unique, but had unifying features. I even created a bee using jewelry beads! I grouted it with a charcoal colored grout, then sealed it. It's a fun, yet practical piece. I used glass scraps that I had previously purchased on Ebay, and round glass pieces from the Dollar Store, so I only had to purchase a couple of additional pieces of glass for the project. It is one of the largest mosaic works that I've made, but I estimate my cost was around $30.00--although in terms of labor...priceless!

This is the finished table that I made for my screened-in porch.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, The original salvaged table with the molding applied I didn t have to seal the surface prior to creating the mosaic since the top was varnished and then painted
The original (salvaged) table with the molding applied. I didn't have to seal the surface prior to creating the mosaic since the top was varnished and then painted.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, In addition to reinforcing the legs we added plastic tips to protect the wood from moisture
In addition to reinforcing the legs we added plastic tips to protect the wood from moisture.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, My dinner plate template I use silver Sharpie on white to mark a pattern so it won t show through the glass It can be easily removed with acetone if needed
My dinner plate template. I use silver Sharpie on white to mark a pattern so it won't show through the glass. It can be easily removed with acetone if needed.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, Each flower had a yellow center with a combination of glass gems colored and iridescent glass
Each flower had a yellow center, with a combination of glass gems, colored and iridescent glass.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, I made small circles with multicolored glass in between the larger flowers
I made small circles with multicolored glass in between the larger flowers.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, Trying to decide on the background I usually start a project with a main idea then work out the details as I go
Trying to decide on the background. I usually start a project with a main idea, then work out the details as I go.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, Glass color can vary by lot just like paint can I learned this the hard way Always mix old and new glass in the same color to avoid odd blocks of color and to avoid having to take up hours of work in order to balance the shades
Glass color can vary by lot just like paint can. I learned this the hard way. Always mix old and new glass in the "same color" to avoid odd blocks of color, and to avoid having to take up hours of work in order to balance the shades!
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, This is my bead bee I raised his head with clear glass so it would show after grouting
This is my bead bee! I raised his head with clear glass so it would show after grouting.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, Finished and ready to grout
Finished and ready to grout!
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, The round glass gems did not want to adhere well with only Weldbond glue Several popped out during grouting I used Mighty Putty to reset them and it worked really well since you can use it wet or dry
The round glass gems did not want to adhere well with only Weldbond glue. Several popped out during grouting. I used Mighty Putty to reset them and it worked really well since you can use it wet or dry.
stained glass mosaic patio table, painted furniture, tiling, After finishing The Weldbond glue will dry clear but it usually takes a while and there may be a glue shadow Still it is my favorite glue to use
After finishing. The Weldbond glue will dry clear, but it usually takes a while and there may be a glue shadow. Still, it is my favorite glue to use.

• Amy9420792

Could you do this on a glass top patio table? You have inspired me! It's gorgeous AND fun!

• Jan

I don’t know the answer but I wonder if the glass top would support the additional weight.

• Sandy fornear

How heavy is the finished table? All the glass and grout must add considerable weight...

• Carolyn Klein

Did you use Weldbond glue to bond each piece of glass? What grouting did you use? I want to try this on my glass patio table so needs to be weatherproof. Just love youridea!

• Crazyfran

Do you break your own glass or buy it?

• Sue Dingmann

What did you use to seal your table top? It’s beautiful!

• Recycler

Is the top level? I imagine theglass gems are higher than the plateglass

• Em

The glass gems are like half marbles so yes they are higher than the rest.

• Frita Meister

Can you do this project on an old rusty metal table? How do I remove the rust out of the table top?

• Lili Stilson-Villanueva

Scrub it good with a wire brush, (there is also a rust removing material, that home depot or a good paint store have, sry I ..don't remember the name)then use a anti rust paint or auto paint, to prevent further rusting

• Momo s

Naval jelly

• Jewellmartin

Clean the table and sand the table. Then use Rustoleum spray paint on the legs and bottom. You can use the same or a different paint on top, but I recommend Rustoleum for a smooth one-coat coverage. When the paint is dry, start applying the varied glasses. Instead of grout, I greatly recommend a triple-thick polyurethane or other clear sealer. The glass will glow more and be more secure. Best wishes, Frits! ☺️

• Rebekah Huggins

I would like to know this too

• Richard Cano

I have an octagon shaped table that 1) needs an upgrade and 2) would look beautiful with this type of project. What do I use to create a border for the glass and grout? And you'll notice what a noob I am by this question lol; where do I get glass for the project?

• Paula Ball

I got bags full from eBay but hobby lobby carries stained glass

• Rsc11232706

What Did you Use to seal it ? ( "grouted it with a charcoal colored grout, then sealed it.")

• Maf5266496

Such a wonderful idea. Do you have to have a special tool for cutting the glass? And is experience necessary for working with glass? This has inspired ke to try working with glass, i find it amazing how each piece is different. Thank you for shating you idea and talent.

• Tay34177553

What a great piece. Good job! Well done. Bravo!

I want one now!

Great post. Can you halp a gal put..? What is the green sheet? The glass?

Th kx!

• Art by Laura.T

What do you use for cutting the glass?

• Brenda Erickson

This sounds like a great winter project for when we're stuck inside bc of Oregon rains! Looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

• Priscilla

Bravo! So beautiful and unique. One of a kind. I see it being a family heirloom