DIY Tiered Succulent Planter

If you have ready any of my previous posts, you’ll know I love succulents and am always looking for new ways to plant and display them. I have been seeing pictures on Pinterest of old 3-tier fountains that have been upcycled into planters and thought that it was a great way to display plants. I don’t have any old tiered fountains, but I have seen other posts of people turning planters into tiered fountains. So, I decided to use cheap planters purchased at Walmart to make a four-tiered succulent planter.
I purchased four planters of varying sizes, large to small, at Walmart. The largest was on clearance for $5, and the other three were all under $15 total. At home, I had several disposable planters that plants we purchased from Home Depot and Lowes had been sold in.
Planters of various sizes
Disposable planters.
First, using a glue gun, I glued five of the disposable planters together so they were stacked. I then glued the top of the stacked disposable planters to the inside bottom of the largest planter that makes up the bottom tier.
Glue disposable planters to bottom tier.
Once I had the five stacked disposable planters glued to the bottom tier planter, I applied hot glue to the top of the stacked disposable planters inside the bottom tier, and then placed the 2nd tier planter on top of the glue on the stacked disposable planters.
2nd tier glued to disposable planters.
Follow the same procedure for the remaining two tiers, gluing disposable planters inside of each tier to glue the next tier planter onto.
Four-tiered planter
Once all tiers of the planter were assembled, I add potting soil to each tier.
The succulents I purchased for the planter were purchased at Walmart and Home Deport. Walmart had some painted succulents with matching pots that were very cool looking. I had purchased six of these a few weeks ago, originally intending to keep them in their matching pots. But once I decided to build the tiered planter, I decided to use them in the bottom tier because they added so much color!
I planted one large succulent in the top tier, three in the second tier, four in the third tier, and then five in the bottom tier, this way there is room for the plants to propagate and spread. Over time, the empty spaces will hopefully fill in.
Here are some pics of the finished planter:
For more pictures and further instruction on this planter, please visit my blog at the link below.

Pinspired to DIY