Kathy B
Kathy B
  • Raleigh, NC
Asked on Feb 11, 2013

How can I store shovels, rakes, pitchfork, and other long handle tools in the garage with out hanging on walls?

Lori JacksonKathy B3po3
+4

Some tools have handles on the end. It is hard to hang on the wall because the head takes up too much space.
  • Z

You can always get a rack that sits in a corner to drop them into Kathy, but it still takes up quite a bit of space. They are not always sturdy either. The only other thing I can think of is to use the large bike hooks to hang them horizontally from the ceiling. They wouldn't be to easy to get to or hang back up though.

• Marcy

How about a storage rack? Here's one from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/vertex-garage-tamer-storage-rack-gt150.html#.URi8cWf8t-g . Or you can make one!

q how can i store shovels rakes pitchfork and other long handle tools in the garage, cleaning tips, tools
    • DORLIS

@Marcy I thought of that, but the heads get tangled up with one another and then you have to spend time getting them undone. It may seem like a waste of space, but I think that hanging them on the wall is best. Someone had the idea of cutting pvc pipe in short sections, nailing it to the wall and putting the handles in the pipe. You would have to measure to be sure you have enough space for wide things like rakes. Then you can hang them on all 4 walls and have lots of space in the middle for mowers, etc.

• Z

That's basically what I was talking about. Only the one we had fit in a corner.

• 3po3

I'm not sure why it is difficult for you to get them all on the wall, but have you looked into these type of hooks?: http://www.toolclip.com/

• Kathy B

Thanks to all with the great suggestions. Helps to have ideas that have worked for other people!

• Lori Jackson

I use an old file cabinet, drawers removed and turned on its side. Works for me.