Jamala W
Jamala W
  • Whitmire, SC
Asked on Feb 11, 2013

Should i paint it or leave it alone?

GinnyJudyMary
+72

I found the perfect side table for my kitchen to hold my stereo.. now im wondering should i paint it or leave it alone... what's your take?
my soon-to-be stereo station..
my soon-to-be stereo station..
  • Z

I have a feeling you know what I'll say, but I'll say it anyway. Leave it, it's beautiful just the way it is. What a great find Jamala!

• Jamala W

thanks Becky..i appreciate your opinion.. i strongly feel your way.. :-)

• Z

I thought so, which made me quite surprised you even asked. If it needs a bit of care try some Howard's Restore A Finish. I get it at HoDe. It comes in colors that you get to match the original color. Works beautifully. Quite easy to do too.

• Jamala W

Yes..it just have a small scuff mark on the front right.. (i'll call it character chuckles).. but other than that .. nothing is wrong with it.. (i took care of the dust and cob webs already.. :-)

• Z

Oh than all you need is a little Old English Scratch Cover for Dark Wood. It works wonders. Just check in any store that carries furniture polish and you'll find it. http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/sf2_scratch.shtml

• Sidnia Soto

That's a beautiful table as it is, it will be a shame to alter it.

• Mary Insana

I like it the way it is too. A little elbow grease and it will be like new. Now, if it doesn't quite match your kitchen decor you can buy a couple cloth placemats that match the rest of your kitchen and put your stereo on them. It will pull it together and protect the finish. One thing that I do on my vintage furniture is to have a piece of glass cut for the top. You can put anything on top and you can also slide pictures, pretty wrapping paper, fabric etc under the glass.

• Cathy Neely-Kedzuch

What a beauty. I would leave it as is. Good find!

• Jeri

paint it...in a vivid striking color...thinking diy chalkpaint?

• KMS Woodworks

I vote keeping it wood

• Linda T

This is an ornate piece, that cries 'antique', so have patience! If you live near an antique shop, a museum or auction house, take a good, clear photo of it and try to find an expert to tell you if it's valuable. (Or if they want money to value it for you, don't pay, just ask, "Valuable or not?" Even if you paint, it could be stripped again, but it's difficult to totally clean again, and usually original patina on good furniture enhances the value. As written above, Old English works well, but if you have any deep gouges, scribble over them with a matching Crayola, then polish off the excess. If it turns out to be of no particular value I could see it in a flat, pale olive green (If it would fit into the decor)

• Farah Muzaffar

Its a beautiful piece... If you want to settle it insome bright colour decorated room than sure paint it ....

• Linda Webster

It is beautiful as is..The dark color is really the "in" thing now, for the wood pieces. So it is already in style. If you want some bright colors, do it with drapes or pillows or paint on the walls! Add something bright, Vase or picture frames etc on the piece.

• Jamala W

Thanks Sidnia.. looks like the verdict is in.. i'll leave it alone.. thanks to everyone for your feedback

• Tracey T

Oh please don't paint it, it is beautiful just the way it is! Some things you just don't want to put paint to..

• Bernice H

I am so torn, in my mind I can see it beautiful both ways. I agree with, if it is valuable..etc, but if it is not..why not? at some time, perhaps.

• Tammy Slavin

I would leave it natural . If you want some colour , add a runner , or some bright place mats

• Jeanine

Paint & distress the body, keep the top as it is.

• Maxine St.Clair

It's a beautiful piece, don't harm it, the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Jamala W

Than you all for your valuable input..

• Bernice H

@SheilaG, Plum Doodles what do you think?

• Sharron W

You know if the veneer were peeling or if it had a huge gouge in the top I might say "sand it" (or fill it with wood putty) and go for it...but she's really holding up beautifully especially considering how old it is...so I vote leave it as is and give it a good coating of liquid gold or something to re-hydrate the wood... It's a lovely piece...

• Pamela F

Its beautiful just the way it is, lucky find!

• Jamala W

Thanks Sheila.. (i kinda thought the same thing) i love painted furniture.. but it 's perfect if the piece was damaged...this one isn't

• Bernice H

What a GOOD idea @SheilaG, Plum Doodles that WOULD be a surprise and fun!

• Gail Salminen

@Jamala W I have been following this post with great interest. I think the piece is beautiful, it was a great find. While I don't disagree that as is it is wonderful, I think you need to decide what will fit best in your kitchen. You may consider painting the lower half and just refinishing the top and keeping it wood. If it were a family heirloom I might advise otherwise, but this is a wonderful find - do with it as you think will look best and add charm to your kitchen while being a functional piece. Would really love to see the final product. Thanks so much for posting :)

• Irene

I think it would be nice to paint it a pretty contrasting color that will look good in your kitchen. A great place to put pretty glass ware like maybe depression glass. A collection of small and tall vases with flowers in them. Or a collection of cookie cutters.

• Irene

If you decide to leave it as is I would use Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Preserver. Beeswax and orange oil. I use it on all my furniture including my two antique buffets. One left to me from my mother and one left to me from my mother in law. It keeps my furniture looking beautiful and it just needs dusting in between times. I buy mine at Home Depot. I'm sure other places carry it too. Hi Bernice.

• Jamala W

Great.. thanks Irene for the tidbit info.. i appreciate it.

• Jamala W

Thanks Gail for following and giving me your take on it.. I think I'm going to keep it the wood tone.. I needed it for my stereo station. and it'll serve its purpose perfectly for it... i had it on my counter and it was eating up too much space.. and this freed up a lot of space. I will take a pic and post it..

• Betty Conder

That is a beautiful piece of furniture please don't ruin it by painting it. From what I can see it looks like it was made in the late 1930's or early 1940 so you really do have a great find here. I know you said you wanted to use it in your kitchen but why not think of it as a small desk with a few antiuques sitting on it.

• Jamala W

Hey Betty, I did think aobut using it in my foyer..i have some collectibles to display but i really need a stero holder.. and it fit so perfectly on it....if come across another stereo holder.. i'll move it.. thanks for your input..

• Jim Jakes

I am in agreement with Betty. It may not match, it may look out of place but a coat of paint (and it will probably take several) will be difficult to remove. Hey- they don't make these anymore. But you decide what works for you.

• Karen Darby

Jamala, I had a peice like this also, I fought with myself to paint it or not. I ended up painting it, and regreted it the moment i did it. I love color and being different, but in this case, I messed up.

• Jamala W

Thank you for your feedback.. and I thought strongly about it and said i may regret painting it so i just chose to leave it alone.. espcially since it wasn't damaged.

• Laura Tabor

I would leave it, it looks beautiful as it is.

• Jamala W

thanks Laura.. That s exactly what I did

• Sheila R

I say paint it!! Color will pop this great peice!

• Karyn Lisk

Love to see it with the stereo on it! beautiful piece!

• Barbara White

Oooops by the time I saw this I'm hoping you left it alone. It's a beutiful piece of furniture with a lot of natural character.

• Jamala W

@Barbara White Yes I did leave it.. thanks for looking and advising :-)

• Karen B

I love the look of hold wood so I like it just like it is.

• Lena Grasso

oh I would leave it as is expect polish it up with furniture oil...beautiful piece!!

• Love Digging in the Dirt

Love it just the way it is!

• Jamala W

Thank you for you advice.. and I sure did leave it alone.. :-) and glad i did. :-)

• Jmarie813

Ooh!! Pretty vanity ( dressing table).Wish I had one to match my french Provincial stuff. I hope you post a pic of how it looks as a stereo table. I'll bet it's cute! :0)

• Jmarie813

Thank you,Jamala.. Can't wait to see it. creative idea! :0) Hope your weather is better than Fl. We're freezing here.. brrr..

• Kathryn Botard

I love it! Is that a leak proof container for your plants?

• Janet Smith

Such a beautiful piece, Jamala. So glad you decided not to paint it.

• Jennie polis

Paint it high gloss black with mirror tops. j

• Gina

This has shabby chic written all over it! Beautiful dressing table!

• Kayo Frazier

I would not paint it...What I would do instead is re-stain it a lighter color to bring out the grain of the wood. I assume the cut out part is where you are planning to put the stereo...So I would use the 2 drawers as your CD collection storage to keep everything neat.

• Diana Deiley

I love this just the way it is, but it is yours so painting it a wonderful color of your choice will be a great adventure. Maybe chalk paint.......

• Lisa.flowerbiz

I would have it appraised before I decide. If it is a valuable piece, you might want to take the advice of an antique dealer. If it's not valuable, have fun with it. Either way, it's a unique and pretty piece.

• Sharon hughes

I would not paint! Maybe add a touch of gold.

• Richard Edgeworth

I would definitely NOT paint it. It looks very old and may have more value by restoring its original beauty.

• Joanie

NO, NO, NO.........do nothing with it, except use it.......adore it!!!! It is VERY beautiful!!

• Fenella

Paint it. I have just chalk painted a Georgian (18thC) mahogany chest of drawers. It can always be stripped.

• Yellow Barn Interiors

Definitely paint the bottom and distress it. You will see all the details come alive. The top could be refinished in a lighter stain. Seal with poly. yellowbarninteriors.com

• Tina Duggin Kinsey

never paint if it looks that good to start with. you will regret it..

• IFortuna

The wood looks seasoned and that takes years. I would leave it, It is a beautiful piece. : )

• Joanie

Listen to ALL these people...........leave an old look, OLD, and cherish the looks!

• Joanie

I would definitely use this for a makeup table. I totally love it!! It has a drawer for your beauty supplies......a front table for your magnifying mirror and two top sides for little lamps. My Mom had one and I sure wish I would have it now. Somehow it got lost when she got new furniture.
  • Anita shull

Depends I think in how your kitchen is decorated. If you are an all wood stain on all cabinets? Then a pop of color would be great. Even going metallic might. E fun? In any case, your taste and desires are what really counts

• Sharon hughes

Just use a wood cleaner on it , maybe high lite the drawer pulls with a little gold.

• Judy

painting makes the pieces look cheap...distressing is even worse....I like natural wood...I would refinish it the way it was intended.
  • Mary

Lovely piece! You could give it a bit of a sanding and see the grain come alive when you put a nice furniture oil on it, or wipe on a thinned paint color you like and wipe off called (pickling). It does not seem to need a heavy refinish, just alittle love.
  • Mary

Leave it alone!
  • Judy

yes I agree leave it alone...it is beautiful...no paint...do not distress it...you will wreck its beauty...distressing is ugly

• Ginny

Leave it alone! Why do people insist on painting vintage furniture when it is in good condition like yours? Clean it with a solution of warm water and Murphy's Oil Soap or Ivory Soap to remove old wax; dry immediately with a Turkish towel; let stand for a few hours. Apply an oil base conditioner (Old English liquid) to feed the wood and keep wood from drying out. This piece is a vanity and would be a lovely addition to your BR or a hallway as well as your kitchen. Maybe you could find a nice old mirror or have a piece of glass framed to hang over it and tie the two together. Side compartments would make good candle/accessory storage if you use it in a hallway or kitchen. The possibilities are endless. Think, think, think and enjoy your end result.