Outdated Patio Set Rustic Makeover

$50

Patio furniture can be quite pricey! Especially for new homeowners who have spent tons of money already on buying new furniture and filling up all the extra rooms in a home after coming from an apartment, bachelor pad, or mom and dad's house. We were facing that reality last year as it was our very first summer in our home. We thought we were just going to have to skip on entertaining in our backyard for a while. Until we received a hand me down table from a relative who no longer needed it.

We were absolutely grateful for the hand me down and we made it work all last summer. This summer I got that itch to get creative outside and start adding some more personal touches to the back deck. I truly dreamed of a french rustic cafe space. The glass table and gray and white 90's style seating just wasn't doing it anymore. And then I got this crazy idea to go and purchase a black and white striped umbrella (which I LOVE) and you know that could never possibly work with gray and white striped chairs. So a little imagination and I knew this table and chairs could work with just a little DIY help!

Materials: Black Spray Paint Pressure Treated Wood Stain Liquid nails Nails Sander/sandpaper Hole Saw 2" (applied to drill to create hole for umbrella) Spray paint chairs and table frame. Tip: Be sure to spray paint fabric both sides. Build frame using planks size of table. Be sure to create frame slightly larger than table to be able to slide table top right on top.

We had a few hiccups on this project (as you will be able to read in the blog post) The wood we purchased was not perfect and we had made some small mistakes that we had to work around. I say every mistake makes it more rustic : )

See 45 degree angles on outside for "unique look" this was suppose to be picture frames cuts to create a nice clean corner...these are areas we had to think on our toes and make it work...and it does!

Sand the table and add stain and seal. I decided just to use a little dark wax to give a more distressed look. I feel sometimes poly turns the color yellow so I prefer a wax (don't recommending a wax though) Poly would for sure seal this table much better. Once table is complete use the hole saw to cut a hole in the center for umbrella.

Add adorable striped umbrella to complete the look!

You have to see the new Makeover I did on this table this year! Check it out!

Deb Foglia

• Jody Price

How are the mesh part of the chairs holding up? Sticky? Scratchy? Please tell me before I paint my chairs. Yours look beautiful!!

• Abby

Did u leave the glass on the table...curious as well w the mesh chairs & spray paint...

• Abby

Would love to see answers to the questions above :-) I am in the midst of doing a wood top as the glass smashed on mine...oooooh, not a fun clean up! We are going to put the wood into the ring, and was thinking to spray paint too...but am curious about the mesh on the chairs...

• Dka27519972

The broken glass table top happened to me too. After trying to pick it up by hand on the patio and in the grass, I got the shop vac and just vacuumed the concrete and the grass! Worked great!

• Piece of Meesh

what a great idea!

• Dougal

Interesting idea and I’m going to try this on a coffee table whose glass shattered over the winter. But on reading the link It looks like a case of (a) measure twice/cut once and (b) seems like the table top only last a couple of years before they needed to do something new.

I think the table top idea works better on a smaller table and no need to keep the glass unless it’s a complete pain to remove. It’s better to have some crossbars/stretchers under the wood to allow it to "breathe".