Outdated Patio Set Rustic Makeover

$50

Patio furniture can be quite pricey! Especially for new homeowners who have spent tons of money already on buying new furniture and filling up all the extra rooms in a home after coming from an apartment, bachelor pad, or mom and dad's house. We were facing that reality last year as it was our very first summer in our home. We thought we were just going to have to skip on entertaining in our backyard for a while. Until we received a hand me down table from a relative who no longer needed it.

We were absolutely grateful for the hand me down and we made it work all last summer. This summer I got that itch to get creative outside and start adding some more personal touches to the back deck. I truly dreamed of a french rustic cafe space. The glass table and gray and white 90's style seating just wasn't doing it anymore. And then I got this crazy idea to go and purchase a black and white striped umbrella (which I LOVE) and you know that could never possibly work with gray and white striped chairs. So a little imagination and I knew this table and chairs could work with just a little DIY help!

Materials: Black Spray Paint Pressure Treated Wood Stain Liquid nails Nails Sander/sandpaper Hole Saw 2" (applied to drill to create hole for umbrella) Spray paint chairs and table frame. Tip: Be sure to spray paint fabric both sides. Build frame using planks size of table. Be sure to create frame slightly larger than table to be able to slide table top right on top.

We had a few hiccups on this project (as you will be able to read in the blog post) The wood we purchased was not perfect and we had made some small mistakes that we had to work around. I say every mistake makes it more rustic : )

See 45 degree angles on outside for "unique look" this was suppose to be picture frames cuts to create a nice clean corner...these are areas we had to think on our toes and make it work...and it does!

Sand the table and add stain and seal. I decided just to use a little dark wax to give a more distressed look. I feel sometimes poly turns the color yellow so I prefer a wax (don't recommending a wax though) Poly would for sure seal this table much better. Once table is complete use the hole saw to cut a hole in the center for umbrella.

Add adorable striped umbrella to complete the look!

You have to see the new Makeover I did on this table this year! Check it out!

Deb Foglia

• Devon Yacoboski

What kind/size of wood did you use? Worried about weight?

• MTzilla

Having weight to it would be a good thing. Then wind isnt going to pick it up as readily.

Fantastic & creative update!!

• Karen

Yes I will try this however I have cushions that are weather do you have any tips on them

• Julie

A friend of mine used watered down chalk paint on her cushions and just painted them, they looked brand new when she was done. the first one is before, 2nd one is after.

• Wonderwoman,ornot

we are building a new house in goergia. here, in jacksonville, fl. we have a glasstable with 6 chairs, that we thought we would leave here. not anymore. i abslutely love your post. what could be better? thank you so much.

• Joanne C Looney

Excellent idea and a job well done!! Thank you for sharing.

• Donna

Love the table. Would have left the chairs the original stripes. One, they matched the umbrella. Two, black chairs are going to be HOT to sit on!