Leslie
Leslie
  • Lansdale, PA

DIY Globe Pendant

$30

Maps and globes are all the rage in decor right now, so we are loving this easy, "form meets function" project!
diy globe lighting pendant, crafts, lighting, repurposing upcycling
To make this, you'll need a few materials: A globe (sometimes you can find them inexpensively at thrift stores... mine was under $10!), two light kits (these were from Ikea), a pair of light bulbs (make sure they fit the kits!), some white craft paint, a paint brush, pencil, and something to cut open the globe (I started with a box cutter, but later moved to an electric multi tool to make it easier).
Step 1: Cut your globe in half. (Hint: Use the equator to get a straight line and a perfect half-way cut!) Again, I started by using a box cutter, but realized that the core of my globe was too thick and switched to a handheld electric saw to get the job done.
Step 2: Using the light kit, trace a hole at the top of each half. This is where the light kit will be inserted to create the pendant.
Step 3: Cut out the traced circles.
Step 4: Sand all of the "cut" areas until they are smooth.
Step 5: Clean all of the dust and dirt off the globe. I just used a slightly damp paper towel to wipe it down.
Step 6: Paint the inside of the globe white. Really, you could paint it whatever color you want, but I thought that white would help the light bounce around and make the whole fixture brighter.
Step 7: Once everything is dry, insert the light fixture into the hole, screw the top on, and add the bulb!
Step 8: Hang it up and plug it in!
For more details and pictures, check out the link below!
PS. Please Note... the cost of this project will vary depending on where you purchase your materials and which ones you already have on hand.
Leslie

• Colleen

I wish I could post a picture in this comment but I find globes and maps great for decorating! I have an 18" one 'rigged' into an older cast iron pillar candle holder that hung from the ceiling. I sprayed it with bronze paint and used a gold chain which I spray painted bronze to match. It hangs in our library area and is easily reachable to explore on (grandkids always ask where a certain continent or country is.... I would love it to light up but I'm not crazy about cutting it. Perhaps a small hole but nothing bigger than a quarter. Any ideas ? I love the ceiling globe shade and other ideas with wall sconces but maybe another time!

• Colleen

Thank you Lynn! I could maybe even wrap the fairy lights around the bronze holder it hangs in. Might look like stars!? I will try it. Thanks again!

• Leah Deverett

LOVE this idea!! Great project. Thank you for sharing!

• Marlene

What a fabulous idea! A fairly easy project that gives something old new life!