Thrifty and Chic
Thrifty and Chic
  • Salt Lake City, UT

DIY Outdoor Privacy Screen

$100
1 Day

Our neighborhood is situated on a hill, so we get the pleasantness of having a huge house peering into our backyard. Even if a fence were up, the house is high enough that our neighbors would see right into our backyard. So, after years off feeling a lack of privacy when hanging out on our porch, I finally came up with an idea! A cute little privacy screen that resembles the look of a pergola.
diy outdoor privacy screen pergola, diy, outdoor living, porches
I didn't want to make this permanent since we'll hopefully be building a pergola in the next year or two. So, for now, I just dug a hole by my patio about 13" deep (calling the gas/power company to make sure there were no lines) and placed the 4x4 in it. I used a level to make sure it was straight. Adding rocks/shims to get it level.
For the curtain rod, I found that using a rod that secured directly into the wood was the best option for high wind situations.
For the curtains themselves, I used drop clothes.
When the curtains are closed, and it's windy, I needed a way for them to stay put. So, I placed grommets on the corners and secured them to the ground with a little "U" pin.
I wish I had done this years ago! The look is perfect for the space, and the privacy is just wonderful.
This is was it looks like closed. I'll probably add some cute pattern to it eventually, but for now it does the job! Another plus? I now have something to hang lights from! To see the full tutorial, visit my blog! http://www.thriftyandchic.com/2015/08/diy-privacy-screen-for-100.html

Thrifty and Chic

• Yavette Moore

We're did u get the supply from and what was the cost.can you give the the size of the wood

• Janice

I love the idea--but won't the pipe rust onto the curtains! Maybe spray paint the pipes? I have a similar situation and this might just work for me, too! Thank you!!

• Candida

How was the flooring of this project done... what was used and was it expensive

• Paula Simas

Very cute. Im going to attempt that.

• Lorelei

Very cute, and if you cant dig your posts into the ground cement them into 5 gal buckets 2/3 of the way and when dry add dirt and flowers to finish them off.