DIY Outdoor Privacy Screen

$100

Our neighborhood is situated on a hill, so we get the pleasantness of having a huge house peering into our backyard. Even if a fence were up, the house is high enough that our neighbors would see right into our backyard. So, after years off feeling a lack of privacy when hanging out on our porch, I finally came up with an idea! A cute little privacy screen that resembles the look of a pergola.
diy outdoor privacy screen pergola, diy, outdoor living, porches
I didn't want to make this permanent since we'll hopefully be building a pergola in the next year or two. So, for now, I just dug a hole by my patio about 13" deep (calling the gas/power company to make sure there were no lines) and placed the 4x4 in it. I used a level to make sure it was straight. Adding rocks/shims to get it level.
For the curtain rod, I found that using a rod that secured directly into the wood was the best option for high wind situations.
For the curtains themselves, I used drop clothes.
When the curtains are closed, and it's windy, I needed a way for them to stay put. So, I placed grommets on the corners and secured them to the ground with a little "U" pin.
I wish I had done this years ago! The look is perfect for the space, and the privacy is just wonderful.
This is was it looks like closed. I'll probably add some cute pattern to it eventually, but for now it does the job! Another plus? I now have something to hang lights from! To see the full tutorial, visit my blog! http://www.thriftyandchic.com/2015/08/diy-privacy-screen-for-100.html
Thrifty and Chic

• Che13512545

Did you attach it to your house? Why or why not?

• Claudette

What about shower curtains?

• Nancy J.

I've used shower curtains and outside they seem to mold quite quickly. I'm not sure why. Maybe something in the atmospher?

• Betty

Why’s not use a white fabric shower curtain

• Drop cloths are heavier than a showe curtain and won’t blow around And they are only temporary as stated in the beginning of the article.

• Hel31076636

I am inspired and will definitely use your idea to create my own privacy screen with lights. Thank you!

• Di Francis

i love this project. i am a renter and am trying to think of ways to adapt my small (very small) space outside my unit to a similar style. unfortunately, the landlord does not own the units on that side of us (and it shows). i truly need some type of privacy from the view/space/eyes.